Notices

Need advice

Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ebo

Need advice

Well I'm 38 male . I binge drink for last 10 years . I'm done I don't know what to do or where to go . All I know is this has to stop . Please any advice would be appreciated
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ebo, stick around and read. Lots of great stuff on here to help you
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome ebo. Participating on this forum is a good start. Have you considered joining a self-help support group?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ebo, welcome! I'm also 38 and binged for the last 10+ years. I guess the only thing I can think of to say somewhat briefly, is that if you are 100% serious about quitting (meaning, there is no longer any part of you that wants to keep drinking or hold on to a drinking lifestyle), then you will find a way. I tried to quit a few years ago and I failed a lot, but in my heart, I wasn't 100% ready to let it go. And I didn't. My body is now telling me it's time and I haven't looked back. Anyway, glad you're here. Stick around, you'll find a lot of support from people who know what it's like to be where you are right now.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ebo

Thanks for all the kind words . I know without a doubt
I'm done drinking I'm just scared I won't stop if that makes
Sense
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Ebo! It was almost 2 years ago when I realized I had to quit or die. Between SR and AVRT I found the tools I needed to stop drinking and stay sober going on about 21 months or so now.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Thanks for all the kind words . I know without a doubt
I'm done drinking I'm just scared I won't stop if that makes
Sense
It makes total sense and I know it's scary. The truth is, sometimes we might stumble but we can't let that stop us from getting back up. If you're committed, you won't let setbacks derail you for good. I didn't stop for several years after thinking that I needed to stop. I had to get a point where my body just wouldn't take it anymore and my desire for a different life became stronger than my desire for alcohol. If you want it enough, you'll find a way.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ebo View Post
I know without a doubt I'm done drinking I'm just scared I won't stop if that makes Sense
Absolutely. My drinking had a mind of it's own... all it took was one drink and all bets were off at to where it would lead.

Check out the forums here at SR and you will find a number of ways that people approach getting and staying sober. I think many will agree that the critical thing to understand is that for most of us, it was impossible to do on our own... which is why we sought and found SR.

Personally, I needed AA to get sober, and I needed to work at my sobriety on a daily basis. My advice would be this: if at first you don't succeed, try again - but try something different and/or bigger. Eventually you will try a solution big enough to suit the problem.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ebo, asking for help is a pretty good start, sounds like you believe you have a problem. Now make a plan and figure out what to do. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Drinking was an endless torment for me in the later years. it helped me to read the Big Book, learn about AVRT, and log onto SR daily. The daily support thread was a lifesaver