Notices

New here

Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hey all,

This is the first time I've asked for/looked for help for my lifestyle. I'm 25 years old, hold down a professional job, am engaged to be married in a few months, have lots of close friends & see them often, and no one knows how much I drink or how early I start drinking.

I have never been hospitalized for drinking and no one has any idea the amount I drink - or that the coffee thermos I carry around is actually filled with straight liquor. In the past year, I don't think I've been sober more than 3 days and that was usually because I was sick with a cold or something. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on alcohol. I don't really know what started the heavy drinking - I actually rarely drank throughout college. I can't attribute it to any specific traumatic event. My aunt is a "functioning" alcoholic and I never thought I would be like that.

I'm an extremely stressed person and I feel like the alcohol helps me with that. The funny thing is that I do not like taking medication (had too many weird side effects happen to me from taking RX) but I self medicate daily... Luckily I recently had a full blood workup and am at the doctor pretty frequently for chronic migraines and no doctor has ever mentioned abnormal test results. I know that can't last forever though.

Anyway, I look forward to reading other people's stories and finding out how I can work towards sobriety.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Friedpickles!

My story's a little different as I never really functioned well when drinking, but I know many who did and were still alcoholics. The disease of addiction comes in many forms, but ends with the same results. For most, it takes hitting a seriously low bottom, but it doesn't have to. Being honest with yourself is the first step and seems like you've done that. I would suggest you try an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) meeting. I have an idea that you'll meet a lot of people just like yourself there and making friends in recovery is vital. The meetings are anonymous so you won't have to worry about that. I would also suggest you may wish to be open and honest with fiance. My wife and I tackled my addiction together and her being a support is so important in my life.

PLEASE get the help you need before it gets worse, cause that my friend is a promise...it will get worse if the drinking continues!

Keep us all posted and we're all here for you!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi Pickles,

or that the coffee thermos I carry around is actually filled with straight liquor.
What movie was that from? Wasn't it Paul Newman? Set in New Orleans? I suffer from CRS.

Welcome! I'm in ATL, OTP. Great weather the last coupla days, huh? More like it coming, too.

Look around. Read heavily. There are as many ways to get sober as there are members. Someone is always around to talk to, 24/7/365. You got info when you need it and support when you want it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a high-functioning drunk, too. It was very rare indeed that anyone could tell I had been drinking. Even when I was completely bombed.

At one time, I wore that as a badge of honor. Now, it merely disgusts me.

Don't let yourself keep drinking until you are my age. Or you might not make it to my age.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Many times, I have almost told my fiance about how much I drink but everytime, I make a stupid joke about it as if it's not really that bad or I chicken out. And of course part of me doesn't want to tell him because he would MAKE SURE I got sober - and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

The thing with AA is that isn't it religious in nature? I am an atheist and don't want anyone telling me about a "higher power" or anything. I don't mean to be offensive, but I just couldn't take that seriously. Which is why I'm unsure of my next step - I guess that would be coming out to my fiance and my family. I just need to be brave enough to do that.

The sad thing is that just talking about this stuff makes me want to drink
Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Check out the Secular Recovery section. The only person you have to get honest with is yourself.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks - I'll definitely check it out. I love how active these forums are
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

You betcha FP.

Don't discount AA or any recovery method until you've tried it though. I've chosen secular recovery, but that doesn't mean that my plan can't collapse and I'll end up there.

Recovery is like a pair of shoes - you may have to try a few pairs on before you find the one that fits. And sometimes, the pair that fits is the one you've least expected.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FriedPickles View Post
Thank you!

Many times, I have almost told my fiance about how much I drink but everytime, I make a stupid joke about it as if it's not really that bad or I chicken out. And of course part of me doesn't want to tell him because he would MAKE SURE I got sober - and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

The thing with AA is that isn't it religious in nature? I am an atheist and don't want anyone telling me about a "higher power" or anything. I don't mean to be offensive, but I just couldn't take that seriously. Which is why I'm unsure of my next step - I guess that would be coming out to my fiance and my family. I just need to be brave enough to do that.

The sad thing is that just talking about this stuff makes me want to drink

Sounds very similar to my case.. I had to have liquor on me constantly.. I dont know how no one ever knew.. It was my go to the second I got out of bed or I couldnt even function without ringing in my ears, tremors, etc.. The unfortunate part is, I didnt stop in time and ruined my engagement.. which landed me single, and now on my own in an apartment that I can barely afford.. I had the same thoughts on the AA, I am not religious by ANY means and I have never been a believer that someone/something I cannot see is going to "fix" me - I did recently find an interesting group that put things into a different perspective though.. they said that "higher power" doesnt have to be a "god" - it can be a sponsor, a friend, just anyone, aside form yourself, that can see your struggle, that you can be honest with, and is willing to help you.. Being honest about your addiction is your biggest first step..
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Friedpickles!!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've decided that booze is a higher power. It can certainly overpower my resistance. Apparently without even trying very hard.

On edit: technically, my desire for booze is the higher power. Since it is inside of me, I'm the one who has to wrestle and subdue it.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are tons of atheist in AA, the Big Book talks about that specifically. And as far as being honest with others, I personally think it's imperative. I was not a religious person when I came to AA either, but I learned that the resentments and 'secrets' are what keeps most of us drinking. I tried everything before AA and nothing else worked for me, but when I came to AA I was humbled and ready and willing to do whatever necessary to stop drinking! If you're worried to tell your fiance because he'll help you get sober and you're not sure you want to get sober...sounds like a dilemma!

All I can share with you is my experience and as I said before , it will get worse if you don't stop now! Someone asked me once did I want to save my a** or save face? Whether you believe in God or not I think being honest with yourself and the person you're going to marry is the right thing to do. Please don't play with this disease!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

...and yes, honesty is a must. I'm able to admit I'm an alcoholic to anybody--whether it be at work or elsewhere. Turns out there are a lot of us roaming the face of the planet.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi FriedPickles - I'm so glad you found us.

I'd give anything to go back to my 20's and get sober. I thought it was helping me with anxiety, but in reality it was making things so much worse. I leaned on it all my life with disastrous results. You have so much to look forward to and alcohol doesn't need to be any part of your life. It feels wonderful to be free of it.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
...and yes, honesty is a must. I'm able to admit I'm an alcoholic to anybody--whether it be at work or elsewhere. Turns out there are a lot of us roaming the face of the planet.
VERY true - I have rolled off .. or jumped off the sober wagon many times in my life.. this is the FIRST time I have been openly honest with EVERYONE and actually seeked help from a group - I am fully aware I cannot do this alone... honesty shocked the hell out of quite a few people. my mom being Number 1... and was embarrassing to say the least... but it was actual a relief to let it out.. and helps me be accountable for my actions/thoughts
Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean, xx...it definitely is a relief. Regaining accountability is going to be a HUGE thing for me; I blew my marriage of 30 years to smithereens.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks for replying to my intro thing too. I used to carry vodka in my flask too, sometimes rum and pepsi in a pepsi bottle. Also, it sucks when I get a chest infection or cold, I am too paranoid to take the medicine thinking it will send my already overloaded liver into failure or something like that. I've got a chesty cough right now as a matter of fact. Cool that you're here and good look to you too.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Fried P. If you are hesitant about AA, read this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3456630

I was already sober when I read it but it really captured for me how I got sober. If it resonates with you great. If not there are other paths to sobriety. Good luck and best wishes.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's good to hear about AA - maybe it is something that can help me. Thank you for sharing your experiences and advice. Very glad to have found this community.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard FriedPickles
I'm glad you found us

D