Notices

Connection

Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Connection

Hi friends, again (and again...)

A subject that I would like to throw up in the air is human connection. Or just connection... with any live being. Other humans, animals, plants, microorganisms - anyone

I'll start. I suffered from a lot of weird alienation and disconnection in my youth. Then, became a young adult who used "detachment" as an emotional armor. I'd done very well in the professional areas of life, and could move around across countries, continents... a haunted soul and agitated mind. I recognize that these <<< features often turned them against myself. So I continued drinking.

I feel good about myself that I finally mustered up enough courage and energy to quit drinking and have gotten into this Recovery business a few months back, early this year. Like I said many times on other threads, I could have never done this without SR. SR was also my intro into other, more direct interpersonal relationships, that I find very valuable here and now, and I can't and won't identify because of the respect of anonymity.

The purpose of this thread, or at least the initial question:
What kinds of connections do you like, find helpful in recovery, or would like to establish in sobriety? Can be humans, animals, plants, anything we would like to discuss
Old 07-16-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My connections:

My family
My cats
My books (not necessarily in that order)
Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My family
My animals
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

First and foremost, my cats. Anyone who has met me knows I love my cats.

My oldest cat Bailey, helped me through some really dark times. He gave me a reason to get out of bed in the morning. I was alone and isolated at the time and that cat kept me going.

My cats at one point or another have kept me from harming myself. (Well, in ways other than drinking.)

I don't really want to think about where I would be if it wasn't for them. The unconditional love is just staggering. That fuzzy ball of warm fur in my lap lets me know that it's okay.

While people absolutely add untold dimensions to one's life, my eternal gratitude and love goes to my cats.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would actually say I've made two observations.

My connection (or reconnection) with nature is one. I forgot how much I energise by being out by the water, or walking in our botanical gardens here. I forgot how I just love taking in the natural beauty of things. Even things like architecture. I just forgot it all.

Ironically, the first thing I did on my first weekend sober to distract myself was to go out in the ocean and go whale watching. It's only now, a year later, I realise the joy nature has given me in my journey back to my own natural self.

Secondly, would be actually questioning my connection to the people in my life. Identifying where there are bonds, where there are not, has been an eye opener.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My family and friends and my dogs and cats. Especially the dogs and cats.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

The connections I would most like to establish in recovery is with people. I've spent much of my life isolated and alone, and alcohol only enhanced and perpetuated that.

I have no pets but my kids are begging me to get a cat. I'm actually going to contact someone this weekend who's daughter is friends with one of my kids. She has several cats she's just giving away. I live alone, so I think it might help me to have a pet around. I'm not one of those guys who hates cats, btw.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your heartfelt, wonderful responses I'll respond in detail a little later (right now I'm half way out the door for a long run along the East River in Manhattan).

Well, one of my considerations right now, looking for a new apartment... I love dogs and cats

Maybe this videos are interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-H2Lil8zu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SZEPNYHMKQ

But yeah...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU7tDawkr2Q
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

To follow up on this Unfortunately in my current apartment I'm not allowed to have pets - but this is a major reason why I am looking for a new place to live

On "human connection". I won't make it complicated, just say that this afternoon I'm going out with someone I really liked a while back, and still like him based on our recent virtual interactions. He actually has a dog
Old 07-19-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ever since my childhood I kept people at a distance, my family dissolved when my parents got divorced and my only sister moved to another country, so my life became pretty much inside my own head, I didn't share or express feelings with many, my world was kept in my protective bubble, it was safe and no one could hurt me if I didn't get close to anyone.

Don't get me wrong I have always had a job and portrayed all of the "normal" things people do in life, but when alcohol became a problem I escaped into a bottle every evening, partly due to not wanting to deal with life and in the end not really liking myself, all these things I'm working out since becoming Sober.

I think now I'd be happy with anything that resembles a normal human being, a group of friends that accepts me, regardless of my Sobriety, family members that I can deepen relationships with, support from others in recovery, for me SR has become a home, and maybe in the future a relationship.

It's all very much a work in progress, but Sobriety is the foundation of it all!!