Harm reduction

Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Harm reduction

One of the nurses I work with goes to our local methadone clinic once a month to talk to the pregnant women about what to expect when their babies get admitted to our unit and what the withdrawal process is like.

She's talked with many of the staff there and one of them told her that the clinic strives for "harm reduction" They don't expect their clients to stay clean forever. They are hoping to reduce the number of times they use, the number of times the prostitute themselves etc...

I started thinking about this last night is relation to my AH. Is his "stumble" (his words, not mine) part of the process? Are we looking for "harm reduction" with the A? Is it too much to ask for the A to stay sober forever?

I say no but then I think about my own food issues. I buy a pint of Ben & Jerrys and say I won't eat the whole thing but then the next thing I know, my spoon is hitting bottom.

Not the same because my addiction doesn't interfere with my ability to care for myself and my children.

His sister called herself "Switzerland" yesterday and said he's human and we all make mistakes and I shouldn't end a marriage over it. It really pissed me off but got me wondering about accepting harm reduction.

But in my head I know that accepting harm reduction can lead to a very slippery slope.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when people talk about heroin use and "harm reduction" it could just be referring to the implement of needle exchange programs and methadone therapy not long term moderation like as applied to alcohol abuse...so maybe you misunderstood her
Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

His sister isn't living with him for life and doesn't have her personal and financial future tied into his addiction choices either.

Do what is right for you, and trust your gut.

Usually family wants the spouse to come back so they don't have to keep dealing with the addict.

Not saying that's the case here, but it could be.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Cabo that what you are referring to here sounds more like what we refer to as "Attempts to Moderate" drinking.

I can't speak to it as a long-term workable solution in terms of statistics, etc. but I know from reading here for years that I have never heard of it working for any member that has tried it. The problem is that this is a progressive disease, so feeding the monster a little at a time keeps the addiction alive & growing stronger while the Ego foolishly believes it is in control. But you can't stop physical dependency from progressing & at some point the person looses the ability to choose - letting the addiction take the driver's seat & dictate choices.

Search out "Moderation" in this & other forums here at SR (especially the Newcomer's & Alcoholics forums) & you'll find all kinds of stories.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is it too much to ask for the A to stay sober forever?
It completely and utterly depends on what you want from your life. Nobody can tell you what's right or wrong here. I personally felt like my one life was too valuable to spend with someone whose addiction problems ruined my personal life, my family life, and our finances. I have friends who have made other choices and stayed with abusive addicts.

I told myself that my ex's drinking didn't affect the children. Then I spent significant time reading on the ACOA board and realized that while I thought I was handling his drinking and protecting the children, I was deceiving myself.

It's all up to you, and what you are willing to live with.