Notices

Newbie Alert.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Alert.

Hi whomever may read this,
I am here because I have an alcoholic partner and I guess after 5 years I cannot take anymore so I am here to find some support for myself. Many of you will be aware of the hell that comes with alcoholics, the many times I have detoxed him or he has attended AA not to mention his spell in rehab which hasn't gone too successfully. I really don't think he has hit his rock bottom yet and I am now starting to believe that while I continue to forgive him and support him he never will. It has and continues to have a detrimental effect on my mental health and as I write this I know what I have to do but it is so hard when you love someone. That said he will end up dead soon, having come pretty close when he was admitted to rehab, if he doesn't beat his demons. Due to my own childhood issues of losing people, having an alcoholic father and a history of dating alcoholic men I realise now that only I can help myself, I cannot save him that surely needs to come from him? Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on like this but 5 years of silence and here I am. I would appreciate any advice you can give me, although I may well be in the wrong forum, I'm not sure. Eitherway thanks for listening.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome dtc76

you are very welcome here in Newcomers forum - we do also have Family and Friends forums that I recommend you check out as well tho

The main thing you'll find here is understanding and support and encouragement to look after your own needs - you're not alone in this - welcome to SR

D
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74, that is so kind of you. I will check out the family and friends support too but having read some of the articles on here I realise I could educate myself more on how to be a supporter instead of an enabler. Plus, the experiece everyone has here will be very useful to me. Thank you once again Dee74
Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a process of change and growth for all of us here dtc - whether we're alcoholic, addict or loved one.

Don't feel like you have to know, or be, everything right away

D
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, dtc. It sounds like you're in quite a predicament, but from my experience it is best to take care of our own mental health first and foremost, because unless we are fully mentally healthy, it is difficult to support and help others. Just my two cents! (Which, incidentally, in Canada is worth less than two cents in the US given the current exchange rate)
Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks again Dee74 Thank you also to purpleknight
Soberjohnny, thank you Your two cents worth was priceless advice and just having someone to talk helps massively. I think you just helped the Toronto Stock Exchange rate rocket