Notices

No Physical Withdrawal

Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Physical Withdrawal

When I stopped drinking I didn't get physical withdrawal. Has anyone else experienced this? If you don't get physical withdrawal does this mean you won't get post acute withdrawal either?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! No telling what symptoms you might feel. If you are concerned check with a doctor. In my own case I didn't know any better and just quit completely. Luckily I had no real withdrawal symptoms, no overt ones at least.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dmuag View Post
When I stopped drinking I didn't get physical withdrawal. Has anyone else experienced this? If you don't get physical withdrawal does this mean you won't get post acute withdrawal either?
Not necessarily. Everyone is different.

I didn't get withdrawals the first time I quit, but had a hellish time after only a few drinks when I slipped. This is the beast we are playing Russian roulette with...

Besides, withdrawal is your body's response to the physical removal of alcohol from your system. PAWS as I see it is more the brain re calibrating itself...so two separate physical processes.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long has it been since your last drink?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I drank for the better part of 26 years and never got withdrawal symptoms anytime I quit until around the 18th year. I'm not a doctor, but I personally believe physical withdrawal symptoms to be an indication that one has become physically, as opposed to only psychologically, dependent. IME, each person is different and some become physically dependent sooner than others. If you have been able to quit without withdrawal, count your blessings and don't ever drink again.

As for whether or not you'd experience PAWS, I couldn't say. As for myself, what I have believed to be symptoms of PAWS wasn't nearly as severe as the withdrawal itself. But like I say, each person is different.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dmuag

I detoxed many times over 20 years...some were 'good' - no ill effects at all - others were very bad.

I never stopped drinking long enough in those days to answer the PAWs part of your query tho.

In any case withdrawal and PAWs questions are impossible for anyone to answer really as everyone's mileage varies.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. I quit 5 days ago. I have been a daily drinker in the past, but the last 3 years has been weekend heavy drinking due to work commitments. Maybe that has something to do with it
Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for such an interesting question. Congratulations on quitting and know that you really can make it.

I am also one of those individuals who found physical withdrawal to be relatively mild. However, 6 weeks in I am now experiencing moderate PAWS symptoms. Not insurmountable but severe enough that they are affecting my quality of life.

I was a daily drinker for 20 plus years.

Good luck and continue to let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi dumuag, I didn't have any noticeable physical symptoms apart from have trouble getting to sleep. That was from a bottle of wine a night.

I was bothered by cravings though, mainly at my habitual drinking times.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I just wanted to say Welcome!

I really hope you will stick with abstaining from alcohol. You're very lucky to have gotten out before it was worse.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wish i could say my withdrawals were mild. Kindling is a very real thing, at least for me. The last few withdrawals i honestly thought i was going to die. Good job on day five.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My withdrawals were always very, very mild. A day or two later I felt physically fine.

I guess I just got lucky.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. I'll continue to post throughout my journey. Cravings are pretty bad at the moment
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by dmuag View Post
Thanks for the support guys. I'll continue to post throughout my journey. Cravings are pretty bad at the moment
Just keep in mind why you came here. Somehow, I doubt it was because drinking is fun and makes your life wonderful.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="Boudicca;4782718"]Thank you for such an interesting question. Congratulations on quitting and know that you really can make it. I am also one of those individuals who found physical withdrawal to be relatively mild. However, 6 weeks in I am now experiencing moderate PAWS symptoms. Not insurmountable but severe enough that they are affecting my quality of life. I was a daily drinker for 20 plus years. Good luck and continue to let us know how you are doing.[/QUOTE

That kinda freaks me out!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to worry too much - not everyone suffers PAWs Hope

dmuag - here are some great cravings tips

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D