Notices

What's so good about being sober?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's so good about being sober?

I know I can not control my drinking. Because of my problem I have lost 2 jobs, countless friends, ruined my reputation, etc. But does life really get better after you stop drinking? I really don't think so... I can't imagine my life without, wherever I go I always see people drinking (restaurants, beach, on the tv.) I don't think I can have fun without it.

I have made the commitment to stop for now I can't say that I'll stop forever but I'll take it day by day and see if things start looking up. Just want to know if life sober is really worth it?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Ceec, my life is tremendously better and more happier now that I'm sober! Take it from me, it only gets worse until we decide to fully accept that we're alcoholics and can never drink again! As long as I intended to 'try' again, I always relapsed and it got worse and worse until in complete humility I asked God for help! I was recommended the program of AA and haven't looked back!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You'll look healthier and be more alert, people will enjoy your company and build trusting meaningful relationships. You'll have more money and wake up feeling refreshed. It's unlikely that you'll wet yourself. What's not to like?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Low

" I have lost 2 jobs, countless friends, ruined my reputation, etc. But does life really get better after you stop drinking? I really don't think so..." Your kidding right? How does losing jobs,losing many friends, ruining your reputation equal such a great life? Sorry, but I can't believe you are serious.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ceec

it's funny how alcoholism can destroy friendships, partnerships, health and careers and we still fear life sober would be worse.
I get it - I destroyed more than that and still feared.

If I could confine myself to just one sentence about the benefits of recovery I would say I am at peace - I am happy with who I am and with the life I have.

Thats a pretty big benefit

I know it all seems unlikely now - but trust me - noone would stay in recovery if they felt they lost out on the deal.

D
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Briefly? Living!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At first my life didn't necessarily get better but it did stop getting worse. After a few months I realized I had not been in jail even once since I quit drinking. So yes, it did get better.
It's like anything else, after some time you don't even miss it. The time and money I saved by not drinking have opened up many new oppertunities to me. I have new habits/hobbies that bring me more joy then getting hammered ever did. Give it a little time, maybe a 100 days or so then decide if a sober life is for you. Your answer may surprise you.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes it's worth it. Yes you can still have fun. Yes there is a better life out here sober

Give it a try
Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by M88RHM View Post
You'll look healthier and be more alert, people will enjoy your company and build trusting meaningful relationships. You'll have more money and wake up feeling refreshed. It's unlikely that you'll wet yourself. What's not to like?
This is the truth, and funny Nothing more embarrassing than getting literally pee your pants drunk. You wake up all wet and think "did I pass out with a beer in my hand?" Nope I peed on myself again.

And yes, it's well worth it to get sober. You can for sure still have fun too! I've had more fun being sober than I did when I was drunk. You never have to worry how you're getting home, cause guess what, you can drive! I've realized that people find me just as interesting and charming sober as I thought they did when I was drunk.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ceec,
Welcome!
Pretty normal to think that. I know I did at one time.

I kind of had to figure out what my own "better" was. Everybody probably does.
I also had to really figure out what I actually considered fun. I didn't worry to much about that at first. I was more concerned with eliminating the disappointment and self loathing I had going on. First things first with me.

Anyway, I had 10 years not drinking from age 28 to 38. I had nothing but fun. It was great. I loved being healthy, single, doing all the fun stuff people do at that age. I loved being different in the respect I was really the only one of all my friends that didn't drink. They didn't care. They loved me anyway. I was as big a goof as anyone. I just never had a hangover, had plenty of money for trips and shopping, and I got to be designated driver so I knew my friends were safe. It really was great. It's a gift to know you can just be yourself and everything is okay.

That was then. Now flash forward 15 years. 15 drinking years. Not so much fun. Now I get to find a new kind of fun. I think it's a nice happy life with me feeling pretty good about myself again. And I am. I've had both. Not drinking myself stupid is definitely better.

Almost a year and half ago I gave it up again. I'm lucky. I never had to question if life could be fun and if sober was better. I knew it was. It was a double edge sword in a way. I knew I could be happy not drinking and when I did decide to drink again I knew exactly what the problem was when I was miserable. Took most of fun out of drinking...not that it was ever really fun.

I hope you find what works for you. Welcome.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Drinking: sloppy, stupid, thoughtless, rude, slutty, vulnerable, confused, depressed, remorseful, sick, unconscious.

Sober: put-together, intelligent, thoughtful, respectful, self-respecting, strong, clear, animated, proud, healthy, aware.

Which would you rather?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Ceec

it's funny how alcoholism can destroy friendships, partnerships, health and careers and we still fear life sober would be worse.
I get it - I destroyed more than that and still feared.
Only been here 6 days myself, and this is one of the best things I've read.

Heck, I'm only sober six days after 27 years of heavy drinking and I'm already off meds, not feeling guilty and self-loathing all the time. I am now running my life, not alcohol.

I'd say that's pretty good.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigTeddy View Post
This is the truth, and funny Nothing more embarrassing than getting literally pee your pants drunk. You wake up all wet and think "did I pass out with a beer in my hand?" Nope I peed on myself again.
Yep who needs that? Who wants to be "that" person, the ass making a fool of him or herself?

I'm only on Day 4 but let's see:
- mornings are great
- not having to worry about what I did when I was hammered
- not having to worry if people can smell booze on my breathe
- not having to worry about where the cops are when I'm driving
- remembering to brush and floss before I go to sleep
- losing the bloat
- not feeling like a prisoner to a bottle of liquor
- not timing things in a way to make sure I can pick up a bottle somewhere
- not worrying if my husband will figure out I am actually drinking more than he thinks

Oh and there was the time the doorbell rang. I answered and 2 gardeners were standing with my 2 yr old daughter who had walked out the front door and wandered into the street. L-O-S-E-R...but not that person anymore. I refuse to be.

After awhile, I had such a high tolerance the booze hardly did much at all except feed my addicted brain.

I had no DUIs, no injuries, no one was ever hurt...but it's always out there, the possibility that your drinking could cause yourself and/or someone else harm.

Went to the mall with my kids today. I got a high off how connected I was with them, how present and in the moment and attentive. It didn't feel like work, it was enjoyable.

Before I quit, I resented anything or anyone that took my time away from booze. That's not life, that's a sickness.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Ceec, what do you find "fun" about alcohol? Yeah, it's everywhere in our culture, but what do you get out of it exactly? I think you need to figure this out or you're not going to stop. Personally, I no longer see alcohol as something fun, and if I'm honest with myself, it stopped being fun way longer than when I decided to stop.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is sobriety fun? Not necessarily, but I wasn't having much fun drinking anymore. Next time you get bombed ask yourself how much fun you are having. Ask youself again the next day.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

1. No more hangovers
2. No more hangovers
3. No more hangovers....

Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me so far, in short, being in control again. My life had become chaotic to the point of insanity. Once I quit drinking, not everything became magically better, but I was able to handle things again, make plans/goals, and start to find myself. Drinking had reduced me to a shell, a slave to the bottle. In sobriety, I'm not a slave to anything, especially something that is destroying my body and mind.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Peace of mind
Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

From lying in bed with a death like hangover and morose thoughts to running at 630am and feeling amazing , honestly it's better in every single way.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
instant

Sober there is freedom and room to grow