How do we do steps in al-anon?

Old 07-14-2004, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do we do steps in al-anon?

I am pretty familiar with the 12 steps, and at a couple of al-anon meetings I've been to, we read them aloud, but I don't understand how we actually start. Do we get a sponser like in AA? Do I have to go to local meetings to do the steps? I really want to do this right. I love reading the posts on this site. I have learned so much in just a few days. Everyone is so helpful.
I am amazed at how many people face this every day. I am comforted that I am not alone. I just need help getting started.
Thank you, Angela
Old 07-14-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Angelar,

There's no right or wrong way to work the steps. Some people find it best to work with a sponsor. There's a step study thread at the top of the nar-anon forum you may want to check out. There are also step study books you can buy or check out from the library. A good one is the 12 steps guide for codependents by Melody Beattie.

Take care,
JG
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

That is a great question Angela. It was suggested to me to get a sponsor to help me work the steps. I am glad that I did. I picked someone who had been in Al-Anon a while ( 24 years ) and who seemed to handle things the way I would like to handle things. I got as much literature on the steps as I could. Then I started with step 1. I would read, and ask questions. It seemed like I just couldn't understand or "get it." Then something would click. I called my sponsor and discussed what I had come to understand. Then I moved on. I am on step 9 right now. I am using the same procedure. I will study and do what I can, and when I feel I am comfortable with it, I will move on.
Everyone does things different. Reading, learning, applying, getting a sponsor, they are all things that people do when they are ready. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you hear a suggestion that doesn't fit, don't worry. It's just a suggestion. You may want to try it later, or you may never do it.
Everyone's journey through recovery is their own. Just start somewhere. It really doesn't matter where. There is no finish line, and no time limit. Someone told me a long time ago, " Easy does it, but do it." Be good to yourself. Just try to make each day as good as possible. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-14-2004, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JG, thanks for the book suggestion, I'll check it out.

Magic, thank you for your wisdom. I do have to find a way to do this and I know I will.
I like "Easy does it, but do it". I needed that.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello angelar and welcome!!!

So glad that you found us. There are alot of really great folks here!!
I LOVE what Magic wrote!! Keep coming back and we will do this together one day at a time.

Hugs and Prayers,
matters