Notices

I'm back

Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

Hello All,

I'm back to try again. Here is my story:

Last December, I made the decision to quit drinking for life. I lasted a whopping 12 days, which is less than my previous breaks (15 days, and 40 days). I went back to drinking and had somewhat of a handle on moderating it. Somewhat.

In February, I had the bright idea to move downtown. Let me tell you, things have spiralled out of control. I have 6 months left on my lease and can't wait to move. I live in the heart of downtown near all kinds of bars which I have spent the last 5-6 months frequenting. I have made many "friends" but most of them are all people that just say hi if we are at the same bar. Fair weather friends I guess.

Because of not having to drive, I feel like I have doubled my drinking. Sunday night's are the worst, where I feel like I drink the most. Maybe fear of the week. After that, each day gets progressively worse until the weekend binge.

I am finding that more often than not, I am so hungover on work days that I don't even bother getting out of bed. I am falling behind and my business is slipping. On the weekends, forget about even meeting people for brunch. I am so hungover and my anxiety is so high that I again have to be a hermit.

Most weeknights are 3-4 glasses of wine followed by 2-3 draught beers.
Weekends consist of afternoon beers, followed by wine, followed by beer, followed by whatever.
Sundays, half the time I have to get myself a bottle of wine or several beers just to feel better, but I end up drinking into the night. Obviously I can't control it.

I'm a smart guy, and I see that this is a slippery slope that I am already halfway down. Honestly, I think part of my drinking is caused by not having anything else in my life other than my work. So I feel I need to "fill the void" because I can't stand being alone with myself, or being social while sober.

In any case, I have decided to give it another shot. My plan was originally to take a 30 day break and see what happens. This is what I have told all my friends, but in reality, I am aiming for 3 months. A 3 month "experiment" with daily journaling, goals posted all over my house, car etc., and accountability through a family member. After 3 months, I may decide to extend it to a year. Why not?

My goal is to continue to go out like a normal 27 year old, except, I am going to force myself to get used to sober socializing. I am going to go to places where people aren't wasted, and can have a conversation over a tonic & lime or virgin caesar.

Any thoughts or motivation would be greatly appreciated. I started today, but have been planing on and off for a week.

Much love,
Gap03
Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Gap03!! You can do this!!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It won't be easy, but you're on the right path and seem to have a good head on your shoulders and a good plan in place. What are your other ideas to "fill the void" and occupy your time? Do you have any hobbies, do you work out? Good luck, keep checking in here!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a running list of summer activities that I want to do. These include some video games I want to finally play, books I want to read, and some projects I want to work on.

The key for me right now is staying sober. It's so hard. All I want to do is go have a double vodka and feel that warm embrace. I keep telling myself what that will lead to, which is about 6 more drinks tonight, and then back to my tired angry self tomorrow morning when I have to get up for work.

It's hard.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it , remember you are doing this for yourself. It will not be easy...but will be worth it. No pain ,,,No gain !