Notices

ARGH why won't this anxiety go away?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ARGH why won't this anxiety go away?

Part 2 of yesterday's thread. this anxiety is KILLING me.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It gets better, but you have to stay away from the bottle long enough for that to take place.

The first weeks are difficult but lots of people make it through it.

I found it helpful to have a journal on my computer to get out all the crazy thoughts. Remember this time - it will be your impetus to not start drinking again because of how bad it is to quit.

Could you get some medical/professional help?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am....but my counsellor can't see me until wednesday
Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

No, drinking was killing you. The anxiety is the first emotion in what will be a full range of emotion as you dry out. The last one will be peace. Hang in there.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It'll take time, your body/mind can't adjust to not having alcohol over night, years of drinking is going to take more than a few days to undo.

Anyway of getting some fresh air, clear the head for a few minutes, I always find this helps a bit.

Keep pushing through!! You can do this!!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

No one has died of anxiety millions have died from alcoholism.

I would suggest an A A meeting. I think you will find it helps. The anxiety will pass so concentrate on staying sober today.

More alcohol will only produce more anxiety stay strong and break the cycle
Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Anxiety is thoughts, and there are plenty ways to settle them down. Try putting your attention, all of it, on your breath and your breathing, all the sensations that go with that. When your mind wanders where it will, notice it without judgement, and gently return your attention to your breath.

Remember that anxiety is simply part of withdrawal from this substance to which you are addicted. It will ease in the next few days. Meanwhile, do something else awesome for yourself. Eat small simple meals, stay hydrated and be gentle and generous with that scared person inside. She needs your help, so be as kind to her as you can. Onward!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Overwhelming anxiety is common during withdrawal. Stay sober. It will pass.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know that anxiety after a bender. It's irrational but impossible to stop for a couple days. My last relapse was especially hard on my psyche. I spent days feeling absolutely hopeless in life.

Every hour that passes you are closer to normal. I usually go for a long walk if the anxiety was getting louder. That seems to calm things down.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

And not to pooh-pooh this, but as a child of an alcoholic myself, my psychiatrist highlighted to me that anxiety can also have a biological cause. In many cases, the stress and anxiety felt by a child can actually damage the brain's ability to stop anxious thoughts. Apparently the cortisone released by the fight-or-flight mechanisms we have is quite hard on our brains.

For me, anxiety has been a lifelong companion.

If I was not already being treated for anxiety and depression, I think it would be incredibly difficult to stop drinking - drinking was one of the few things that actually shut my anxiety off.

Might be worth discussing with a Dr. and getting referred to a psychiatrist (not psychologist) who can diagnose if there is an underlying physiological issue.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Of all the symptoms of withdrawal, for me, anxiety was probably the most emotionally irritating. It wasn't however, the most dangerous symptom I had. The spikes in blood pressure and heart rate covered that part and they were only exacerbated by the anxiety. It feels suffocating at times and just can't seem to be escaped, but it will pass. Again, if any of your symptoms feel too unbearable, remember to reach for the phone to call your doctor instead of reaching for the bottle!

Best wishes to you.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LG - some of your anxiety is also most likely coming from the events that transpired during the weekend. Have faith that you're taking steps to get better. Coming here is good I think - one time when I had a hangover induced anxiety attack, I ended up calling a crisis hotline just to have someone to talk to. Sometimes just being reassured that this is a normal (albeit sucky) part of the process helps to ease the anxiety.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get through it and move on, but it may take awhile. Your emotions have to learn to deal with real life without alcohol and it's not easy.