Notices

I'm new and I need help

Old 07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new and I need help

I just found this site because I am at a loss where to turn. I know I need to see someone, but I can't say I don't ever want to drink again. At this moment, the thought is comforting. Long term I am not sure I can do it. I just turned 40, have two beautiful children and a great husband. I drink every night - usually a bottle of wine, sometimes a couple glasses more than one bottle. I drink when I am hungover, I drink before social events, I drink alone, I drink to relax, I drink because I am stressed, I drink because I have insomnia, I drink, drink, drink. I recently have been diagnosed with an inner ear viral infection that causes vertigo, nausea, dizziness, and pulsating in my ear. Does it stop me? No. And I feel terrible and am not getting better. Anything is an excuse for me to drink. I am healthy and active and have ridden my bike 20 miles numerous times with a hangover, dehydrated. Once I have that glass of wine, I can't stop. I need to stop - HOW?????
Old 07-14-2004, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Kimberly-

I'm new here too and live just up the road from you. I have a post today also- I think are stories are very similiar.

Read my story and we'll talk. One way or another we will figure this out.
J
Old 07-14-2004, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

(((((Kimberly & Livinloco)))))

Welcome to Sr my name is Talia and I'm an alcoholic. You've picked a good place to come. The other's will be along shortly to greet you. Kimberely your story mirrors my life in alot of ways. I'm off to an AA meeting now, but am looking forward to getting to know the both of you. Hope to chat later.

Talia
Old 07-14-2004, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kimberly, Welcome to SR. I'm Deg, and a fellow alcoholic.

You sound as if you're in a bit of a state. You're in a safe place here and you can relax. And trust me on this one - there are loads of people here who know how you feel.

How do you stop? Good News!! you do what you've just done and start talking and to and drawing strength from us mangy lot hereabouts.

There are so many things going on, and so many questions you'll have.

There's always someone here for you. You can fix the problem.

Take it slowly if need be.

Deg,
Old 07-14-2004, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kim
I have been where you are at, believe me! I battled the Wine addiction for years! I had some of the worst hangovers of my life from wine! Never stopped me though from pooring my next glass/bottle until I finally got sick and tired of being sick, tired and hungover every single day!

Until you make the decision to quit drinking may I suggest mixing up your routine a bit to help break the drinking cycle! If you drive to work a certain way, change your route! If you drink on an empty stomach, eat just as soon as you get home to curb the craving! Instead of taking that first glass of wine, get on your bike and go for a ride, and ride and ride and ride until the urge passes!

Once I was able to break my daily routine, I found as the days went on it got easier and easier to distract myself away from that first glass of wine that ALWAYS led to drinking the whole darn bottle, starting the cycle all over again! It wasn't easy, I'll be honest, I started over so many times I can't begin to tell you! But, once I finally made the decision that I was going to stop for good, I did! I attend 1 AA meeting a week, that's all I can seem to fit in at the moment because I have a 2 year old, I read these boards every single day and gather strenght from everyone else who is in the same boat! I read the Big Book and I also read "The Womans Guide to the 12 Steps". I can relate to that book more than any of them!

You can PM me if you'd like, just know that I understand EXACTLY how you feel and I know the remorse you are going through! A thousand times over!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi
glad you found SR.....
It starts by staying sober one day at a time, one minute at a time.
Finding a support group like AA would be fantastic for you, you really get a lot by being around poeple who are in the same boat.
Keep hanging out here and reading about alcoholism.