Notices

New and nervous

Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and nervous

Hi all, I'm Kris. I have an intensely awful hangover today and I finally decided its time to stop. I'm having a hard time admitting I have an issue. I don't drink every day or even every week, but when I do I can't stop. I always feel guilty the next morning and I'm super hard on myself for not being able to control it. I feel like there's something wrong with me because I can't get a handle on it. I think it's time to admit I have a problem.

I've gone to one AA meeting and I think I'm going to start going consistently on Fridays in my area. Was is this hard for everyone? I'm so scared that I won't be able to control it, but the drinking is the only way I know how to get over my social anxiety and I use it to self medicate when I'm upset sometimes or stressed. It's starting to affect other areas of my life so I need to stop. Does this mean I'm an alcoholic? I feel like I'm admitting defeat by saying that. Anyone have any advice? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Kris
Old 07-13-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kris!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are the one to decide if you are an alcoholic or not. But, remember, it's just a label.

Is alcohol causing problems in your life? If so, then it's time to stop drinking. If you can't stop drinking when you start, that's a problem and moderation will not work. Alcoholics cannot drink alcohol because somewhere along the way, we crossed the invisible line, and you can never go back.

It's very scary to face not drinking and dealing with life without alcohol. I have found that SR has been a lifeline for me for many years.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not admitting defeat; it's about resolving to live in freedom mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I simply cannot stop drinking once started. Often, the only thing that got me to stop a binge was running out of money. I have ADHD which invloves poor impulse control when I am sober, so you can imagine the havoc created when I am drunk.

Has your drinking affected things like your career, finances, and relationships? If so, then you may have a problem.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It is affecting my life and how I interact with people. My friends are concerned about me. I don't want to drink anymore. I don't like the way I feel afterwards. I just don't know how to control it. .

I'll start going to meetings this week and I will know someone there which is nice. I just feel like such a failure for not being able to control it.