The Chronicles of Recovery?

Old 04-01-2002, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dannygirl

Arrow The Chronicles of Recovery?

Tonight I went to my first Al-Anon meeting. And since you all have made me fell so welcome by encouraging me to share and talk(type), then I figured I would share this with all of you. Maybe some of you have thought about going, but just hadn't quite made up your mind.
Well, let me tell you, I didn't exactly go into this with an open mind. I've ignored this problem for over eleven years, then, just when I thought it was safe to get back into the water, dun, dun, dun, dun....I married an "A." All the while telling myself it was different. He was different. Well, let me tell you what I'm starting to figure out. He isn't different. His STAGE IN THIS DISEASE is different than the phases I am more familiar with. I got broken in on the roughest part - the end of the disease. Let me tell you, it's not pretty.
So! As I started to say, I went to my first meeting tonight. The first really brilliant thought through my head is how many older/middle aged women were there. I was by far the youngest at 27. Just a short time later, the scariest thing happened. They started to share their reasons as to why they were each there tonight. There were some who had been in Al-Anon for years. Some had only been to 3 or 4 meetings, but all of the stories sounded similar to mine. And what scared me the most was that THIS WAS ME! THIS IS ME!
As the evening progressed, this hour long "experiment" of mine to see if this would help, became the beginning step of what I can only describe as a long overdue journey.
Now, I can't really say that I took much from tonight's meeting, other than perhaps the feeling of not being alone. And the same sentiment was echoed by another member of the meeting.
So as I was leaving, several people (we were later joined by even a few men) welcomed me to the group (at this point I started to wonder if their was a POD or a home planet they were going to take me to) and expressed what seemed like genuine concern that I at least come to 2-3 more meetings before deciding this will or won't work for me.
THE MORAL OF THE STORY is simply "Give it a try." I don't know that this will work for me. Maybe I need something more along the line of grief counselling. Maybe I need shock therapy - WHO KNOWS! But I am going to give it a shot...What can I lose? I've already lost so much that I have to believ I can only re-gain my sanity...
Stayed tuned for Chapter 2 to come Thursday night...And if I am boring anyone with all of this...please just tell me to shut up! I tend to ramble when I feel comfortable enough to open up. And for the record, that was a compliment to all of you here. (I didn't really "share" too much at the meeting.)
Hugs to all!

------------------
**Dannygirl**
AOL Screenname: Phxhags3

Old 04-01-2002, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YaaaaaaaaaaY!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 04-02-2002, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Danny,

How can you bore people that love you?

Fondly, Pickle

------------------
Old 04-02-2002, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
catdogldy

Congrats! I hope you continue to go! That with this Message Board will help tremendously. You're a winner!xoxoxox

Old 04-02-2002, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Danny!

Good for you, I have yet to go to my first live meeting.Pretty soon I hope.

Keep on posting, love to read what you have to say!!

Take care.
Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 04-02-2002, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aimee71

Hi Danny,
I went to my first meeting about 5 months ago. I'm also 27 and noticed the same thing and thought I couldn't possibly have anything in common. I had to fight back tears through the entire thing because I knew how each person felt as they described their own lives. Every meeting is different. I have to say I've gotten something out of every one. One woman told me I was lucky that I got there at my age. I thought...LUCKY??? Me? But I've started to see all the reasons I'm lucky and to focus on that....attitude is everything, and it's amazing. It takes time, though. I'm into the quick-fix and sometimes it's rough for me. But I'm alot better off than I was 5 months ago. Good luck to you with everything.
Aimee

Old 04-03-2002, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Danny,

I was just about to say the same thing...about how lucky you are to be there at your age. I was 40 when I got there and believe me....you are well ahead of the game!! This is not rocket science...these are life lessons that can be used EVERYWHERE!
With friends and family, in the workplace...whenever you are dealing with ANY kind of relationship problems.

I am a reader...and many of the things that I read about relationships of all kinds mimic all that I learned in Al Anon. It works!

And the greatest thing about it is that you are working on YOU...and all for a small donation each week.

Good Job!
Paula