What now!

Old 07-14-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
qaz

What now!

Hello, I was informed,(even thoe I already new, just didn't want to admitt),
by my wife of 20yrs that she is and has been addicted to hydrocodone for
yrs.(no spec.#, I'm thinking 5-7) I work for a large co and am currently living
350 miles from home, she is home and is raising our 15 yr old daughter.
We made plans for my wife to go to detox but when she found out they would
lock her up for 5-7 days, then wanted her to attend at least 15-20 days of
follow up every day, she decided to attempt detox by slowly backing off the
amount daily as possible,(not sure what or how long this means).

This has explained a lot of things that never made sence in the past, but
has changed the futer completely-

Is what she is attempting even possible, should she be raising our kid, I'm
not even sure I'm up for the road ahead.(all I know about addiction is what
I'v read online)

Any advice from those who have been there, or are there now, would be
much appreciated -- Thanks QAZ
Old 07-14-2004, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sam082602

Prayers to ya'll cuz' anything is possible through faith & prayer!! Stay in this 24 hour period because yesterday is gone & tomorrow may never come!! I feel that she can raise ya'll's daughter. She needs AA/NA, you need Alanon/Naranon, and your daughter needs Alateen plus counseling is supposed to help. Anyway start praying & don't ever stop praying...my prayers are ya'll...hugs, love, prayer coming to ya'll from me...Love, Samantha, recovering alcoholic/ addict!!

Old 07-14-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Personally I think detox is best when it is supervised medically...there are some drugs that should not detox at home. Cutting back is not a very reliable way to quit. It sounds like the thought of going without her drug caused a panic!

Come on down to Nar Anon and make yourself at home..

Welcome!
JT
Old 07-14-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I would believe that it is up to how she handles it as to whether she can raise your daughter. And how your daughter handles it, and how you handle it. I'd say it's a good sign that she came out on her own and admitted it.

I'd definitely suggest that detox! Detoxing can be dangerous. Could your daughter stay somewhere while your wife was detoxing?

Definitely head down to the Nar Anon forums here and check out a Nar Anon meeting!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
qaz

Thanks-but don't stop

Hey MOOT (and all), thanks for responce, I am sending my daughter to a
friends back east for 2 weeks - any idea where to get sound advice on
home detox - I will be checking into all that is offered

Thaks Again!!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

right on Qaz!

Home detox???? As your doc!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Originally Posted by qaz
Hey MOOT (and all), thanks for responce, I am sending my daughter to a
friends back east for 2 weeks - any idea where to get sound advice on
home detox - I will be checking into all that is offered

Thaks Again!!
I agree with the others here who say detox is best. She has been addicted for a long time and withdrawal from prescription pain medication can be very uncomfortable, thus hard to stay off unless you are in a controlled environment (i.e., detox).

Qaz, I live in Seattle area. Detox for her if she is in greater Seattle area would probably be Harborview Hospital. There are others, I don't have my list (it is at work), but if you want, private e-mail me, and I can get you the names of other facilities that provide detox in King County or any other county in Washington State. My book for that is at work. There are not many to choose from, and they have admission requirements, you will have to ask when you try to line up an admission date.

Sending daughter away was smart, because wife would likely use that as justification for "quitting on her own at home", so you just removed a large objection she will have to going in to detox.

Detox is no guarantee, but if she has considered quitting for a while and is ready to try, this may be a good time for her, IF you get her into a treatment program after she gets out of detox (as in "immediately" after detox). Hydrocodone is an opiate drug, and as such has effects and withdrawal symptoms similar to heroin, just milder. I don't want to sound like I am minimizing what folks go thru, I am not saying that at all. Detox guarantees that she will get off the stuff and that she will have on site medical supervision in case something bad happens. Get the picture? So the withdrawal from hydrocodone or other opiates can involve serious medical problems that would need on site medical monitoring. You can't possibly be serious about detox "at home".

But staying off of opiate prescription drugs is tough, and requires a concentrated effort on her part to stay in treatment no matter what and to sever her connection to the sources of the drugs. That latter goal may be the hardest to control.

Send me a pm and I can get you the information you need.

Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

I echo detox to be the best option for her. Some CAN wean themselves under doctors supervision. Most just aren't strong enough though. She needs help, physically, mentally and spiritually to combat this, and that can best be done through a detox program and NA combined. Good luck!