Notices

My daughter is an addict

Old 07-12-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My daughter is an addict

I never used a chat room but I just feel so alone with my daughters heroin addiction ...... I just don't know what to do, how to feel or what to believe - 6 rehabs incl rapid detox w naltrexone shots and 2 days home and she is now smoking crack - I found out because the medicine she said she needed was never picked up and she finally admitted she used it for crack. I told her I loved her but I could no longer supply money - it's day 3 and I have not heard anything from her. I stare at my phone waiting for a call that she has passed away. It's a terrible way to live but it's been my and my families way now for over 5 years. Am I doing right thing cutting her off? Last time she called she said it will be my fault if she dies because I didn't give her the money.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm sorry for your situation. I know I had my parents fearing for me many times.

You're welcome here but you may find more people with more experience with your situation in the Friends and Family of Substance Abusers forum farther down the list of forums.

Here's a direct link to it: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I hope you can find some peace.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sad story. Ack breaks my heart. Praying for you.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Here's the deal on addiction, a person's addiction is their issue, a family member is not to blame, as bad as this sounds, if your daughter dies it is her fault, NOT yours.

Addiction can be cruel, there is no doubt about that, it takes life, but the addict must take responsibility themselves and make the change for themselves, a family member cannot change an addict, it is up to the addict.

Your daughter must start to take responsibility for her own addiction, cutting off money and support is necessary for this to happen, to reaffirm that it is serious and her issue to deal with, it is NOT your fault!!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you - I'm so new to this all
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so hard to even fathom all of this - cutting her off financially has shown me that right now that's the only thing she wanted from me anyhow
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I'm sorry you're going through this.

You cutting her off is absolutely the right thing to do. She will keep using you for money for drugs.

If goodness forbid she does die, that IS NOT your fault. Us addicts can really manipulate situations and that's what she's trying to do. She wants to guilt you into giving into her wants.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can't imagine the pain you are going through. I hope you will be alright.