Notices

Anxiety: symptoms

Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety: symptoms

Like many people, I have damaged my liver through drinking, my doctor says I show signs of mild fibrosis (but have not had a biopsy to check). I already suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, have for many years. (which was part of why I drank.)

sober, on a liver friendly diet, etc. when I was drinking this never bothered me (of course, the AV is soothing like that) but now I am FREAKING OUT. I am only 34!

now whenever I have any symptoms that might point towards liver failure i completely freak out. I am not yellow, I have no ascites, I have no spider angiomas, none of that bad stuff. but I do have liver inflammation and pain, unexplained hives and nausea. This morning my urine was cola colored and it FREAKED ME OUT and I had a panic attack at work. i know there are other causes but I don't have symptoms for those other causes. I am currently drinking a crapload of water to see if it helps but I think this could be the beginning of the end?

i'm not asking for medical advice here, but how do those of you in a similar situation get through the day without panic attacks?? When you are convinced you are going to die?? how can you do it?? i have one every day... i'm getting tired of it... i call my doctor's office all the time... i'm tired and so is my doctor and my wallet... suggestions??

Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Zelda... here is something I posted earlier this week..

I was just having a clean out of my hotmail & came across this email. Now, most drinkers will suffer from panic attacks at some point, during drinking or in withdrawal. This may come in use for anybody currently in this situation. Hope it helps.

When I work with someone who has panic attacks we discuss in detail when they happen, and where, and what may be triggering them etc. Also how they actually experience them.
Panic starts with a fear response, and the adrenalin and 'fight or flight' mechanism kicks in, leaving people feeling varing degrees of panic and fear. What can then happen is that people start to fear the panic attack itself, as well as whatever it is (often unknown) that triggers it, so the situation gets worse.
Either they avoid similar situations, out of fear of a panic attack happening, or as soon as one starts they respond with despair and even more fear/panic, making everything feel worse.
What helped me (and it seems to work for others, too) is to accept the panic. Like we accept backache, or a sneezing fit, or a dose of flu. Instead of "Oh my God!! I'm having a panic attack! Its awful, I can't cope" I learned to recognise the earliest signs of it, and say to mayself "Oh ****. I'm having a panic attack. How annoying is that" and then talk to myself in more positive ways.
"OK its a panic attack. It won't kill me. Its a horrible feeling, but it will pass. I will get over this"
Then I would put a lot of effort into just monitoring it, watching my symptoms in a kind of clinical way (Heart beating too fast, hard to breathe properly, sweating, shaking etc etc) as though I was someone else watching me in as detached a way as possible (not easy I have to say, but it was easier everytime I did it)
I refused to let it stop me doing things. If I got a panic attack in a shop, I refused to leave the shop, but would find a corner I could just stop and wait for it to ease up. If I panicked while driving (fear of getting lost would be a big trigger for me) then I'd stop, put some soothing music on the tape deck, and give myself the positive talk, and breathe steadily till it was possible to continue. I didn't head for home, or stop driving to places, however tempting it was.

The whole process was described to me as the 'AWARE' technique.
A - Accept what's happening (don't have to like it, just accept it. Don't fight it!)
W - Watch what's happening to you as clinically and calmly as possible
A - Act as normal as possible (Don't allow the panic attack to make you change your plans)
R - Repeat these steps as often as you need to, (meanwhile breathing slowly. PLB helps)
E - Expect things to get better. They will!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

High anxiety and severe panic attacks are what caused me to finally stop drinking for good. The first few days and weeks can be rough, but once you get through this time sober things WILL get better. The most important thing is to stop drinking and the rest will begin to fall in place.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I researched this for my own concerns. One great thing about the liver is it's BIG. Another is that it can heal. Once we stop drinking the damage stops. But we have to quit drinking. I, too, had some symptoms. A week and a half abstinent and they're fading away. It takes time. You will heal.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can also help your liver along by drinking warm water with lemon, milk thistle, Liv 52, Purim... All herbal supplements but worth checking with your Doctor just in case...
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you have insurance, why not get the biopsy? It's not painful and is done outpatient - takes like two seconds. They don't even knock you out. Easy peasy. I think that will ease your mind - it probably isn't as bad as you are imagining.

In the meantime, breathe, and keep eating well and drinking water. It's all you can do right now. The liver is amazingly resilient and able to repair.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Zelda, I can relate. During the height of my drinking, I was hospitalized with Alcoholic Hepatitis and then again a year later. The doctors said there is only one solution: stop drinking. I was having abdominal pains which were painful enough to force me not to drink. As soon as I felt better, I started drinking again. Rinse and repeat.

I am sober now. All my liver problems disappeared and I am back to full health. I was 34 when I entered a rehab. 37 now, and healthier than I was at 25. I am sure that your health will improve if you stop drinking for good.

The panic attacks are part of the process for many of us dealing with Alcoholism. I see a therapist and she helps me keep things in perspective. Just being able to talk to someone is very helpful.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I was going to drop dead any minute in early recovery. Part of that was I thought, on some level, I deserved to.

I didn't

There is life and health and peace after quitting for most of us.

You're doing all the right things now Zelda. I know it's hard to stop worrying but try and look at it this way - your Dr doesn't seem too concerned, right?

D