Notices

Alcohol Seizure

Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Seizure

I knew they existed, never had one, but I just watched a video of one.

It is petrifying to watch and makes my resolve even stronger.
The poor guy comes back from it clue less, trying to pick up another beer and his friend is not even calling 911.

I won't put up the youtube link because this needs forum moderation from Dee. But if you are solid hearted, you can search for yourself
"Seizure due to alcohol"

So next time I have a craving, I'm watching this as a reminder of how serious this addiction is, that self-home detox is a really bad idea and that Seizures can appear even while you are still drinking, not just during withdrawal.

Dee, you may do as you see fit with this thread, not sure if it's ok.

I posted it because I felt it can open the eyes of some folks still struggling or sitting on the fence, or simply having a hard time shutting down their AV.
I know mine went really silent when I watched this.

I really thank god with all my heart that I never had one.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. I'll look up that link.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol can be a serious business!!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh no. Call 911 you jerk. Instead you tell him to lay on his back so he can choke to death in his own vomit. And Hey let's have another beer. Ugh. That's just awful.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I never had a seizure but I did experience acute withdrawal and ended up in the hospital.

I could have died. Trust me you never ever want to be that sick. It was absolutely horrible.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Yeah, I found it. Sure to put the fear of God in you, or fear of death at least. Ain't alcohol just grand?!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One night drink I smashed my finger in a door. I don't remember actually doing it. The next thing I know, the paramedics are leaning over me as I'm laying on the kitchen floor at 7am. H is standing there. Why did you call 911 I say stupidly through my still drunken haze? H says you had a seizure, your eyes were rolling back in your head, I thought you were going to die. That should have been the end of my drinking, sadly I continued on. Stupid, just stupid.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD

I've never had a seizure, while drinking or during withdrawal, but watching this suddenly made the possibility a lot more real. It gave me a mixture of feelings including fear, nausea, pathos, even anger. I felt shocked, even though I know it happens.

Giving the guy another beer at that moment may have been the only thing available that would prevent another seizure, but I agree with one of the commenters on the video. After that drink you need to get him to the hospital and get him in detox immediately.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah this looked really scary! Alcohol is so toxic. I have lied in bed tremebling before wide awake scared to fall asleep before. It truly sucks!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A good reminder.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I witnessed my old roommate have one. It was TERRIFYING! ! Needless to say I dont live with him anymore bc I had to get away from the alcohol. He ALWAYS has a 1.75 of vodka in the freezer. It is literally like his lifeline bc he wont stop and his brain is so messed up he doesn't think he has a problem or at least wont admit it. He goes thru one about every two days. I gt hooked on the sh*t while living with him and my alcoholism progressed VERY rapidly. Before i knew it i was taking a shot or two in the morning before work. Who does that!? Certainly NOT a "normal" person. I am now almost 4 months sober. I thank God every single day I FINALLY saw the light. He is only 43 and will be dead by the age of 50 if not sooner. Alcohol is SCARY folks and it WILL kill you if you don't quit.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby View Post
Before i knew it i was taking a shot or two in the morning before work. Who does that!?
**meekly raises hand**

Although, I wasn't counting how many shots I had. I just turned up the bottle and drank till I felt I'd had enough. It was a round the clock activity for me. If I was awake, I was reaching for the bottle. My intake was not far off from your old roommate's. Slightly less. I don't know how I managed to avoid ever having seizures.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh.wow. Thanks for that. Smacked the AV in the head, here.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, Patman. While watching it, I started thinking... it was probably not a bad idea that his friend filmed it but why to put it on Youtube?! But then of course this type of information can be useful for people like us.

I've never had seizures myself (not that I know of) but had a boyfriend long time ago with epilepsy, and I witnessed several seizures with him. Extremely scary. I called an ambulance for him twice. He never drank, but experimented with certain types of drugs sometimes because he studied the role of herbal drugs in traditional tribal cultures and stuff like that, as an anthropologist. He died on one of his field trips while irresponsibly doing it alone during a drug-induced seizure. For me actually the memory of this period of my life helped somewhat scare the *** out of me when my drinking started to get more and more serious and I had some very scary hangovers. Yes it is a good reminder.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Had a convulsion at breakfast post drinking in my thirties.
Witness said it was very scary!
Yet another,possibly lethal, negative.......
Old 07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby View Post
I witnessed my old roommate have one. It was TERRIFYING! ! Needless to say I dont live with him anymore bc I had to get away from the alcohol. He ALWAYS has a 1.75 of vodka in the freezer. It is literally like his lifeline bc he wont stop and his brain is so messed up he doesn't think he has a problem or at least wont admit it. He goes thru one about every two days. I gt hooked on the sh*t while living with him and my alcoholism progressed VERY rapidly. Before i knew it i was taking a shot or two in the morning before work. Who does that!? Certainly NOT a "normal" person. I am now almost 4 months sober. I thank God every single day I FINALLY saw the light. He is only 43 and will be dead by the age of 50 if not sooner. Alcohol is SCARY folks and it WILL kill you if you don't quit.
I was right there with him as well. I had gotten to a point of buying the 1.75L bottle just to slow down my trips to the store to buy.

I remember a handful of times I had a swig or two before leaving the house in the morning. I felt like it straightened me out so I could face the day. Very sad.

No normal person drinks at least a fifth of vodka a night either. But it's nice to know people can come back from it. I'm certainly glad I did.

Thanks, Patman for this. I like to have ammunition like this just in case the AV tries pulling any tricks.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Well that should lock down another sober day for me today.

Thank you for this.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
**meekly raises hand**

Although, I wasn't counting how many shots I had. I just turned up the bottle and drank till I felt I'd had enough. It was a round the clock activity for me. If I was awake, I was reaching for the bottle. My intake was not far off from your old roommate's. Slightly less. I don't know how I managed to avoid ever having seizures.
Count your blessings and NEVER drink again!!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was actually afraid of posting this because I was concerned that some might miss-understand.

I have thought of the person behind the video since I watched it to be honest. I sincerely hope he is ok and will find help. It's heart breaking that so many are out there as we speak.

But if this helps only one person to remain sober then I think the guy in the video deserves a prayer from all of us.