Notices

Same time every day! Ugh!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Same time every day! Ugh!

I hate the hours of 3:00-6:00 p.m.! That's when I get my cravings! Like clock work!!!

I was a binge drinker. I drank every 3 days or so but drank until I either passed out, vomited of much worse. Scary stuff! I would be so hungover the next day that I wouldn't drink again for a few days. I would also "quit for good" every time only to do the whole cycle over again and again and again for years!

Anyway, I've made it almost a week without a drink and I just got a huge craving and it's 5:20 Eastern central time. Right on time!!! So I'm telling on my F-ing alcoholism! I will NOT drink today! I will NOT drink today! I will NOT drink today.....

Anyone relate to cravings at particular times of the day?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup. Every day around 4:00 it hit me. But it doesn't anymore. . It totally gets better. You just gotta get through it. Great job so far!!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every day at 4, too! On top of that I would go out and get alcohol at lunch so that I would have it to drink when I got off work. Now I bring my lunch and sit in the lunch room and do not get up for anything, let alone go to my car. And when I get out of work I find something, anything sober, to do. Just to get me through the craving! All you have to do is let time pass until it is better! Harder then it looks but true.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
Yup. Every day around 4:00 it hit me. But it doesn't anymore. . It totally gets better. You just gotta get through it. Great job so far!!
Oh good....so I'm not unique? Haha. I'm glad to hear it gets easier. Thx!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I drank all day long so...no.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After work is always when I would drink. Not a hole lot of cravings, except I have to eat dinner early to break the cycle. Replace Alcohol with food and I doubt you will feel as bad.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
After work is always when I would drink. Not a hole lot of cravings, except I have to eat dinner early to break the cycle. Replace Alcohol with food and I doubt you will feel as bad.
That's a great idea Patman! I just realized I am starving! Duh! Just realized I didn't eat much today. How do I forget to do something as basic as EAT?

Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

when I was on my binges, food and personal hygiene were the first things to fly out the window!

yes, eat!!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My drinking was done between 5pm and 1am, my hangover was then bang on time at the same time every morning, so was brushing my teeth to get rid of the smell of whisky, and everyday I'd count down the hours at work as I slowly died a slow death, but interestingly enough by 4pm bang on time I would get a new lease of life just before my 5pm checkin time with the liquor store and my best friend alcohol!!

We've since parted ways!!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, right around the time I start to get hungry, late afternoon. Forget the food go right to the booze. Except now I eat the food instead.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup. Just like Pavlov's dogs.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They say when you get a craving to HALT (check to see if you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)...if you are, fix that! I used to have ice cream at first. Then it was cookies.

Now I've gotten past those o'clocks...and past the sweet tooth. That was fun while it lasted, though.

You'll get there! It does get easier.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is very progressive and, unfortunately for me, it became any time of any day ! The stores around the corner sell alcohol at 6:00 AM and I was there every morning if I didn't have anything on hand. I NEEDED a drink first thing in the morning because I was freaking out and shaking. Don't let yourself get to the "needing" instead of "craving" stage. It really sucks !!!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like T-Pat, I too find the "after work" thing the most uncomfortable. So now after work, I typically check SR rather than open a bottle of wine.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When Dr. Phil comes on at 4pm......used to be go time.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I started craving it first thing in the morning I knew I was in trouble.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found changing my routine helped - if you have a certain time to cook dinner or watch TV and those times are connected to drinking - change what you're doing and break those associations...go for a walk, listen to some music, call someone on the phone...

whatever it takes to shake things up
Old 07-10-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can also relate! I've quit drinking now for 5 days, 12 hours and 4 minutes to be exact! Your situation sounds identical to mine. Every 3 days or so, drink to oblivion, hang over to the hilt, "never drinking again", and mopping up whatever damage be it physical to myself, emotional to others or a smashed wine glass! Vicious cycle!!! But I've had enough and sticking strong! The strongest cravings have always been the same time slot! I'm trying to keep busy and do other things at that time! Good Luck!!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Youre doing amazing. Keep it up. My cravings progress to 24/7. I can tell you the hours of every liquor store in my town. 8 am i would show up. One lady loved to talk. All i could think was i got to get out of here so i can have a shot so i didnt feel like i was going to die. Stay on course dont end up like i did. But im on day 6. We can all do this.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ugh yes, for me early evening is the time. Like so many others, that is when I walked the dark path like someone possessed, drinking as fast as I could to get a better feeling which turned into some bizarre hyperactivity after which I cease to remember things.

That and early mornings on weekends.

I am rediscovering the glory of waking up without a hangover and not looking at the clock until mid afternoon at work, wondering what time the hangover will pass enough for me to be sufficiently productive.

So glad I'm not riding that crazy roller coaster right now. Thank goodness. I pray everyday that it will last. I meditate on the blessing of being an ecstatic never drinker. Each day I make it more who I am.