Notices

Day 4 and I feel Awful

Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and I feel Awful

Today is day 4, and I just generally feel awful. Very anxious, sweaty, nauseous, and my brain just feels "foggy". I know that I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and I am hoping that I don't need to go to the doctor. I am monitoring my blood pressure every hour, and it is slightly elevated, but not to a level that require's a doctor's care at this point (I called the nurse line in my community. They were very helpful). I am eating small, bland meals such as toast with peanut butter, or chicken and rice, every few hours and drinking lots of water and gatorade, but yeah, today pretty much sucks. I am lucky that my significant other and family members are aware of what is going on, and are being very supportive. If my symptoms get too bad, I will obviously go to a doctor, but I feel like such an ******* that once again, my drinking is affecting and inconveniencing the people that I love, even as I am working towards sobriety. I am trying so hard to stay positive today, and recognize that the negative feelings I am having is my addiction's way of trying to convince me that I would be better off drinking (stupid brain). It's really hard to realize how much damage I have done to myself by drinking, and it's hard right now in this moment to believe that I will ever feel "better".
Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm on day 4 too and you should feel proud for getting to this point. Can you think of one positive since stopping drinking, even if it's just saving a bit of money. Try not to think to much if that makes sense, that has been my downfall in the past. All you currently have is now so I would say just try being kind to yourself and feel proud for another day without alcohol x
Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Hi Gio and Welcome !

The first few days are rough no doubt, but very doable.

Stay close.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Ah, giochick I promise you that you will feel better and probably much sooner than you think. This is your body getting rid of toxins and preparing itself for a healthier life

Be kind to yourself. I'm sure your family would much rather support you through this than see you drinking again.

And like eld says, be proud too. The harder this is, the greater an achievement it will be
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hang in there, it will get better and it sounds like you have a people who love and care about you
Don't stress about "inconveniencing" them. They LOVE you and want you better. Focus on that.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

and welcome!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats to both of you on day 4.

You are truly doing the right thing.

I hope that both of you pursue whatever recovery program or method you have chosen.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have to remind myself that this won't last forever, and the fact that I am feeling so awful right now, is in a way, a good thing, since it means my body is beginning the long process of recovery. It's also frightening when I think about how long it is since I have felt truly "well", physically and emotionally, and how desperately I want to feel that way again. I am trying to use days like today as a reminder of why it is that I am doing this. I am also keeping a log of all the positive things that I do for myself every day , no matter how small, such as, "took a shower" (it might seem small, but my drinking has led to serious depression where sometimes I didn't shower for days on end) or "played with the dog". It definitely helps to see tangible proof that even if I still feel awful, I am in a better place than I was 4 days ago.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

Day 4 for me today too. I was feeling very irritable and jumpy so went to a noon AA meeting which calmed me a lot. I will go to one this evening too. This is a reminder to me of just how toxic alcohol is that it has this effect when you abstain. Our bodies are taking the first steps towards healing, every day is progress towards healing.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Showering and playing with the puppy are WONDERFUL ways to get yourself feeling better. Clean clothes, a little lipstick, a short walk a few times a day if your not up to a long one yet, some yummy indian take out or some ice cream if your not so inclined, are all little ways to brighten yourself.

There is also this which seem totally cheesy, and rather hard to do in the beginning, (and kinda Stuart Smalley but I have found it does amazing things to the psyche...

Look at yourself in the mirror, look directly into your own eyes and tell yourself how worth this you are. How special it is to be given the gift of a life and how beautiful and worth it you are to be living it. Tell yourself, while looking into your own eyes, that you are beautiful, and that you love you.

Are you laughing ? Tee hee, I was too the first time. And I was majorly uncomfortable.

Try it....

XO AO
Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there it will get better.

Diet is key I think, fruits, vegetables, fish, lean meat. Some anti-oxidants also help with detoxification I find.

Hope you feel better soon. Well done on 4 days!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One day you will wake up and feel not too bad, and then another day you'll feel even better, it will come but the body won't repair over night, it needs to adjust physically and mentally after years of abuse, it's gonna take time and patience will be required to see it out.

It can be done though, we've all been there and it doesn't last forever, keep pushing through!!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the first few days of my last horrific withdrawl, I wished I owned a sauna so I could just sit and sweat the crap out!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there. The first week or so is horrible. But it does pass and then you will feel so good. The beginning withdrawal symptoms are why so many of us can't make it. We say, if I'm going to feel this terrible I might as well drink. Don't do it! Getting through the beginning is so worth it physically and mentally. You can do it-keep doing what you are doing. And eat some ice cream!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Giochick, 4 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. You'll feel better at 4 years sober like I am today, rootin for ya.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So sorry you are suffering, but you can do this! I'm on day three myself and I remember the last time I got a few weeks under my belt that it gets SO much better and is absolutely worth it. You'll be amazed at how much better your body can feel when it is detoxes, is able to get good rest, and you are getting good nutrition. It will come.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by giochick View Post
Yeah, I have to remind myself that this won't last forever, and the fact that I am feeling so awful right now, is in a way, a good thing, since it means my body is beginning the long process of recovery. It's also frightening when I think about how long it is since I have felt truly "well", physically and emotionally, and how desperately I want to feel that way again. I am trying to use days like today as a reminder of why it is that I am doing this. I am also keeping a log of all the positive things that I do for myself every day , no matter how small, such as, "took a shower" (it might seem small, but my drinking has led to serious depression where sometimes I didn't shower for days on end) or "played with the dog". It definitely helps to see tangible proof that even if I still feel awful, I am in a better place than I was 4 days ago.
I really love all you're saying right here giochick. You're attitude on this is fantastic. I have a very strong feeling that you're going to be one of the ones we keep seeing here...awesome.

Stuart Smalley ..Alpha..hee hee chortle chortle ..love it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stuartsmalley.jpg (31.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's day four for me too. I can relate. We can make it through today
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by giochick View Post
I remember that even brushing my teeth felt like an Olympic chore.
LOL
keep writing those things down
Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Withdrawals can be pretty brutal. My last one brought me to my knees. This won't last thankfully. Then it's time for the real work to begin. Blessings to you.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nuudawn, oh man that picture gave me a much needed laugh today. But I really do need to have those kind of "self talks", because I have let my self worth deteriorate so far. And yeah, just like Alpha said, I giggled at myself at first. But that just means I haven't completely lost my sense of humor. It's so wonderful to see that this is such a supportive and inclusive community. I did want to add that I am feeling a little better thanks to a delicious bacon, apple and Brie sandwich and a Harry Potter marathon (yeah, I am giant nerd).