Notices

Dealing with my problems in a healthy way

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with my problems in a healthy way

I've been struggling lately with anxiety. A lot of it's to do with fitness tests with me being a little overweight (I'm not a blob or anything, I could probably stand to lose a little over a stone). I have beer to thank for that.

I guess I lack confidence and self esteem, now past me would deal with these issues by drinking, so instead I'm looking for alternatives. Exercise is both practical and helpful, but I can't spend all day at the gym.

Have you guys developed methods of dealing with your issues, without drugs or alcohol?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've found that longer term solutions can be found, plenty of sleep, healthy food, exercise, winding down in the evenings with green teas, reducing caffeine, these all serve to lower my daily stress levels overall. So in other words reducing the strain on mind and body through a healthier lifestyle.

For the quick fixes I go walking and clear my head in the fresh air!!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess it depends what "issues" you have. For example, I deal with anger in a different way to when I feel anxious.

So how does the lack of self esteem make you feel? You know, like does it make you angry you got that way in the first place, or just not feel confident?

I feel like a broken record, but I've kept a journal lately and it's been amazing. In addition, if I was really upset about it. I'd time it...and so it would be 30 or so minutes on average...so I know it will pass - I actually let myself "feel" whatever emotions I was having. Wow, how novel!

If all else fails, like going for a walk etc, I go have a shower and rant about something if it's upset me. Then I'm over it.

The above is pretty rare now. Self awareness to your moods, and ups and downs is just new - I tried to be aware of that.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I've found that longer term solutions can be found, plenty of sleep, healthy food, exercise, winding down in the evenings with green teas, reducing caffeine, these all serve to lower my daily stress levels overall. So in other words reducing the strain on mind and body through a healthier lifestyle.

For the quick fixes I go walking and clear my head in the fresh air!!
Yes, all these absolutely. They are a given, and the best gifts you can give yourself as a good foundation for sobriety.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mr Ben!!! Good to see you. Sounds like you going well, PM me when you can.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

Mindfulness - stress reduction, relapse prevention...

Google some comination of the above. It has been helping me tremendously.