Notices

To all the ladies out there....let's talk hormones

Old 07-09-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To all the ladies out there....let's talk hormones

Hello. I'm starting to notice a pattern, which is, every time my "lady friend" is about to come to town or comes to town I get a little crazy and alcoholic in my thinking. I also crave alcohol more during that time period.

Does anyone else experience this? Just curious. I thought I was going crazy the past two days, like untreated alcoholism, but then got my little friend and realized it was hormonal.

Does anyone else have things they do during these times to help maintain some sort of balance?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you think you have a problem with alcohol or are concerned about your drinking then it's probably wise to acknowledge it. Whilst my drinking/cravings may have been stronger at certain times that didn't mean it was normal or that I didn't have a real problem.

As you've been a member of SR for a couple of years Im guessing you are concerned about your drinking beyond hormonal stuff?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It works both ways too. I know I used to drink a lot more when Aunt Flo made a visit. Reactionary to the increased stress in the household I suppose.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Janis, I do experience an upsurge of the "crazy" during that time of the month I try to avoid sugar and overdoing the caffeine around that time. There's a tea that I start drinking a few days before, and drink during... it's called Yogi Moon Cycle and is herbal tea with no caffeine. Raspberry leaf, chaste berry, and dong quai are some of the ingredients that have been used medicinally to treat menstrual issues naturally. I don't know just how much it helps, but I keep drinking it. It's calming and tastes good I've read a lot of positive reviews about the raspberry leaf and chaste berry.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
If you think you have a problem with alcohol or are concerned about your drinking then it's probably wise to acknowledge it. Whilst my drinking/cravings may have been stronger at certain times that didn't mean it was normal or that I didn't have a real problem.

As you've been a member of SR for a couple of years Im guessing you are concerned about your drinking beyond hormonal stuff?
Sorry I didn't realize it came across that I was questioning my drinking. I know I'm a full blown alcoholic. Not a heavy drinker, not a problem drinker but an alcoholic. The hormonal stuff was a question because during that time my mind gets to more alcoholic in thought pattern. I become irritable, easily excitable, discontent etc. This is probably normal but I just want to know how other alcoholics, like myself, deal with these issues.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Sorry I didn't realize it came across that I was questioning my drinking. I know I'm a full blown alcoholic. Not a heavy drinker, not a problem drinker but an alcoholic. The hormonal stuff was a question because during that time my mind gets to more alcoholic in thought pattern. I become irritable, easily excitable, discontent etc. This is probably normal but I just want to know how other alcoholics, like myself, deal with these issues.
I see what you mean. I used to feel worse at that time too. I'm menopausal now so no longer have those issues yet still experience those feelings a lot of the time. Often when I'm really tired which leads me to be irritable,anxious and discontent. I find yoga and meditating helps.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did you know that there is a WOMENS SECTION of the forum? you might get a lot more information and responses if this thread was in that area.
LBrain is not female.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh my....

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Did you know that there is a WOMENS SECTION of the forum? you might get a lot more information and responses if this thread was in that area.
LBrain is not female.
This cracked me up...thank you!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
LBrain is not female.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read something once directed to females and quitting smoking and that success is more likely when planning around that time of the month. Totally makes sense to me. I wouldn't start a diet at that time either
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

I had hormonally triggered cyclical mood problems that I successfully treated by continuously cycling on low dose bcp for many years. Controlling the hormonal cycles did NOT prevent me from becoming an alcoholic.