Notices

Day 3 and First AA Meeting

Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and First AA Meeting

Well, today is day 3 of sobriety. I have spent most of the last 3 days huddled in bed, crying and generally feeling terrible. I know that in order to be successful at sobriety I need to surround myself with people who have successfully embraced sobriety, and that means attending an AA meeting. But I feel so terrified and anxious (I should mention that I have some social anxiety issues as a result of my drinking and the isolation that accompanied it). Just thinking about walking through those doors makes my heart rate speed up. I feel so vulnerable and raw right now, and I am just really frightened about attending my first meeting. I have no idea what to expect, and I could really use some encouragement and hand holding right now.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum giochick!!

SR is a fantastic place for support and advice!!

It does get better with time, in the beginning I certainly felt that fear of change, but you can come out the other side and be happy in Sobriety, it can be done!!

Hang in there, SR is in your corner, it's great to have you here!!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think you will ever find a more friendly and welcoming group..than a recovery group. Just remember, you don't have to speak. I have gone to two meetings of late and in both..I have been recognized as a "newcomer" therefore I have felt like they have zeroed in on me. People are curious..they want to know you're story...they want to help..but you can just say "pass" and it will be respected..if you are not comfortable in saying anything just yet.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, giochick Attending AA is a fantastic step forward in your recovery. I'm sure you'll be very warmly welcomed and you'll realise that you are far from alone You'll also get tons of support and understanding from SR. So good to have you with us
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alright, I decided to just steel my nerves and go. I was going to go to a meeting at 5:30, but I realize that just gives me more time to back out of going, or rationalize why I don't need to go (and I definitely need to go). So I am going to hop in my car and go to a meeting at 2:00. To be honest, I feel terrified, and there is a good chance that I will cry through the whole meeting. Thank you so much for the kinds words of support and encouragement. One of the worst things about realizing that I am an alcoholic is how isolated and alone I feel. It helps to know that I am not.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Good for you, giochick! Will be rooting for you all the way from the UK!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I survived my first meeting. I only cried twice, the earth didn't open up and swallow me whole, and I actually shared (without peeing my pants. Public speaking is not easy for me). As promised, everyone was very nice and welcoming, I found someone who was willing to sponsor me until I get a little more acquainted with the program and can find a long term sponsor, and I feel so much better for having gone. I'm still an alcoholic, my life still sucks, but now I feel like it sucks just a tiny bit less.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I'm still an alcoholic, my life still sucks, but now I feel like it sucks just a tiny bit less
Hey if nothing else, you got yourself a hook for free coffee and cookies
Seriously, keep coming back it will get better. The first few days are the rougher.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found something that works for you.