Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My best friend is an alcoholic so that makes me a backstabber.

Notices

Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To start off with I have been BEST friends with "jan" for about 5-6 years now. She is the only person in the whole world I felt like I could trust in telling anything. We always hang out and sometimes drink a few but nothing was really out of hand. We both have 3 children so we have a lot in common. These past few months have been horrible and I have held my tongue for way too long. She has cheated on her husband numerous times (which he knows about) and she talks to him and the children like they are worthless dogs (curse words included). I let it slide and let it slide until her oldest son moved to his real dad's and didn't want anything to do with her and her daughter messaged me to let me know that the abuse he was enduring was now put on her. WHAT ABUSE????? I panicked, I freaked, MY best friend???? How did I not know this???? Well it got to where I would just go get her and bring her to my house to keep her away from her kids but I couldn't handle her much longer. The things she said in front of children was inappropriate and she used curse words in at least ever sentence. Finally I had enough so I proceeded to message her husband to see if we could stage an intervention or get her in AA something had to be done. He forgave her again for what she did then showed her all of my messages like he was right all along and now her best friend agreed with him ha ha.......perfect. I had to delete my facebook to stop getting horrible messages from her and now that I know he is not going to take their kids and leave I am wondering if I should contact child protective services???? So there you have it the pot calling the kettle black I lost my best friend over something that I do to...alcohol. Now where do I go from here what do I do? I feel so pathetic and horrible and lost and I am kind of a loner so she was one of my only friends
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you did what you felt you had to do in order to help and protect children who were being put in harm's way because of alcoholic behavior and - because you know what that is all about - felt obligated to act.

It's unfortunate that it turned out the way it did... yet... it's probably not the end of the story either.

I don't think you're a backstabber. From what you're describing, it took courage and you were acting out of concern and caring.

Hang in there.