Notices

Day 1

Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello All,

I wanted to stop in and do my first post because I really think this forum will help with my recovery. I've been self medicating with alcohol ever since I left the Army in 2010. I've been through a few treatment centers and made some poor attempts at sobriety. Today I had a sort of Epiphany that made me realize the root of all of my problems is alcohol. my underlying issue is anxiety and a panic disorder, but that can be managed. however, i cant manage alcohol.

I've been an alcoholic for four years now. In that time the longest time I've had was 28 days.that was in 2012 and I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms surprisingly enough. I assumed that any future attempt at sobriety would net the same results. Wow, was I wrong! after a rough year, I decided to call it quits on June 18th. After 5 days I was having difficulty breathing, the shakes, anxiety, and panic attacks 24 / 7. On day 14, my birthday, I decided to have a drink at lunch to see if it would help. I did the same thing yesterday because I didn't believe that the withdrawal symptoms were still going on two weeks after I quit. LOL I have to laugh at myself on that one because I have no idea what I was thinking.

I've been to the doctor and to the emergency room a few times in the past 2 weeks thinking it was either my panic disorder or something was physically wrong with me or my heart. today I finally sat down and went through my journal and marked on my calendar all the important dates along with medications and drinking. It's crazy how the last thing I think of is alcohol withdrawals, which should be the most obvious. Because I have GAD and Panic Disorder (and because I'm an alcoholic), I assumed the worst.

It's unfortunate that I lost the 13 days and I hope that the next two weeks aren't as bad as the last, but I have to start somewhere. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome you will find support here, and plenty of it.

I think you have it bang on when you said the underlying issues / anxiety is the root cause and can be managed. maybe seeing your doctor and asking for medication is a good idea.
He might be able to recommend something for withdrawal.

Good luck and glad to have you
Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Congratulations on deciding to live.

Have you told your doctor about your drinking habits?

And Welcome! This place is all support, all the time. 24/7/365.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I saw him yesterday and have a few meds to help me through. And others for long term GAD. The GAD meds weren't cooperating while drinking. Thanks for the support!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Lots of information and support here.

I am glad you are here and getting back on the horse. Hopefully the symptoms of withdrawal won’t be so bad this time but if they are at least you know what to expect and they will lose their control over you.

Take care, hang out and post often.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!