Notices

** things I can do today...1 thing I cant....

Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

** things I can do today...1 thing I cant....

Day 4. Just got through a pretty hard craving. Only lasted a few minutes but for a minute I thought I was gonna cave. Thank God I didn't. I started listing reasons I would regret drinking in my head and that seemed to help.

Out of 100 things I can do today....there is only 1 thing I can't....drink.

I'm going to make a list of all the reasons I don't want to drink so next time I have a craving I can read through the list.

QUESTION for people with some sobriety: how long do these cravings last? When do they get better? DO they ever get better? They scare me!

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They ease with time, keep pushing through!! Day 4 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sunshine, for me, true cravings (where I was salivating) were very brief. Thankfully I am able to think it through, play the whole tape and it does pass. There are different kinds of cravings I've found tho... The quick, drooling, I want booze craving and then the more insidious low grade craving that eats away at me. You have to be able to recognize what's going on and make good, conscious choices.

They do get better, but at 3 years plus I would be lying to say I never, ever had a craving. It's ok to feel them, you don't need to act on them.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The HALT Method is well documented here on SR. It really applies to me. If I'm hungry,angry,lonely or tired I have cravings.

For instance today after work the usual time I drink, instead I had an early dinner and felt great after. Now I'm stuffing on ice cream.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
They ease with time, keep pushing through!! Day 4 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Oh good! I hate alcohol! :-/ Thx for the support!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
Sunshine, for me, true cravings (where I was salivating) were very brief. Thankfully I am able to think it through, play the whole tape and it does pass. There are different kinds of cravings I've found tho... The quick, drooling, I want booze craving and then the more insidious low grade craving that eats away at me. You have to be able to recognize what's going on and make good, conscious choices. They do get better, but at 3 years plus I would be lying to say I never, ever had a craving. It's ok to feel them, you don't need to act on them.
I would say that I FEAR cravings. I know logically alcohol isn't going to pour "itself" down my throat....but...still scary. Like nightmare scary, you know?

Thx! I ended up exercising! Now I'm cooking dinner. I think I am gonna make it through day 4.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
The HALT Method is well documented here on SR. It really applies to me. If I'm hungry,angry,lonely or tired I have cravings. For instance today after work the usual time I drink, instead I had an early dinner and felt great after. Now I'm stuffing on ice cream.
Hmmm....great idea! Ice cream! Does that get rid if the craving Patman? :-)

Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hey sunshine, glad you found this amazing place - it's a great community of support! read, read, read - i find something helpful everyday!

found this awhile back, thought you might get something from it. and yes the cravings do get better. for me they actually eventually disappeared entirely! hang in there, sober life is the absolute best thing i have ever done for myself...

C.A.L.M

Contain the craving; Connect to recovery
# Cravings last approx. 5-20 minutes.
# The craving will pass whether you use or NOT.
# Remember, one is too many etc.

Alleviate the Anxiety
# Use relaxation techniques.
# Meditation
# Exercise etc.

Logical Thinking
# Pros and Cons of using
# Negative consequence of use.
# Benefits of Sobriety.

Mobilize/Move On
# Exercise
# Get out of triggering situation.
# Go to a meeting, etc.

So remember this when you are having a craving or at one of your triggers.

STAY CALM

rooting for ya!!! congrats on day 4!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovenjoy View Post
hey sunshine, glad you found this amazing place - it's a great community of support! read, read, read - i find something helpful everyday! found this awhile back, thought you might get something from it. and yes the cravings do get better. for me they actually eventually disappeared entirely! hang in there, sober life is the absolute best thing i have ever done for myself... C.A.L.M Contain the craving; Connect to recovery # Cravings last approx. 5-20 minutes. # The craving will pass whether you use or NOT. # Remember, one is too many etc. Alleviate the Anxiety # Use relaxation techniques. # Meditation # Exercise etc. Logical Thinking # Pros and Cons of using # Negative consequence of use. # Benefits of Sobriety. Mobilize/Move On # Exercise # Get out of triggering situation. # Go to a meeting, etc. So remember this when you are having a craving or at one of your triggers. STAY CALM rooting for ya!!! congrats on day 4!!!
Wow! I have never heard of or seen that....CALM. I took a screen shot of that so I can just look at my photos and see it when I'm having a craving. Where did you learn that? That's genius! Oh and thx for the hope about the cravings. Hopefully one day I will be done with them too!

I feel (((CALM)))) ;-)

Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hey sunshine, so glad it struck a chord with you! it did me too. found it here on sr somewhere, much wisdom to be found from many sources from all over the world! pretty cool place, so glad you're here! i like the screen shot idea! i have a recovery word doc that i copy paste into and i read through it when i'm struggling or just need an emotional boost.

read, read, read! so many words of wisdom and really wonderful people. glad you've joined the family! on to day 5 right?!

oh i meant to tell you about a saying my son brought home, your thread title says basically the same thing!

DO YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING TO HAVE ONE THING
OR
GIVE UP ONE THING TO HAVE EVERYTHING…

soldier on, you're on the right track!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovenjoy View Post
hey sunshine, so glad it struck a chord with you! it did me too. found it here on sr somewhere, much wisdom to be found from many sources from all over the world! pretty cool place, so glad you're here! i like the screen shot idea! i have a recovery word doc that i copy paste into and i read through it when i'm struggling or just need an emotional boost. read, read, read! so many words of wisdom and really wonderful people. glad you've joined the family! on to day 5 right?! oh i meant to tell you about a saying my son brought home, your thread title says basically the same thing! DO YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING TO HAVE ONE THING OR GIVE UP ONE THING TO HAVE EVERYTHING… soldier on, you're on the right track!!!
Awesome! I LOVE that saying that your son gave you! Thx! I've been reading SR off and on all day & I'm learning a lot. One thing I am learning is that I DON'T want to drink. (((POISON))) I have yet to read a positive story about drinking on here. It all sounds pretty miserable to me.....

Thx again Lovenjoy! :-)

Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job!! I did find ice cream or sweets helpful with the cravings. The cravings will become less intense. Stay busy!! Good luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by girlsearching View Post
Great job!! I did find ice cream or sweets helpful with the cravings. The cravings will become less intense. Stay busy!! Good luck.
Thanks girlsearching! :-)

Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by girlsearching View Post
Yep I think Pepsi will become my recovery drink of choice.

As a former beer drinker, there are lots of calories/sugar in it. At least I can alleviate my instant carb craving, even if the booze craving doesn't go away.

I'm not concerned about the instant intense cravings - it's the low-grade, long-term insidious ones that scare me.

Way to fight through it Sunshine