Notices

Confused

Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

Hey,
I've had other threads about changing my life and quitting drinking. I posted earlier that I hope to repair my relationship with my gf once I take care of myslef. I spoke with her tonight and it was positive but there is still no guarantee that we will be back together. However, after the conversation I had an urge to drink, like I was telling myself it was ok to drink again. Why can't I learn my lesson? She left because I lashed out when I was blacked out and here I am telling myslelf that I can have a drink. Will I ever learn? How can I stop having these thoughts and help myself really cut out the drinking? I'm confused
Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us dranbk for a long time and came to deal with stress, discomfort, or pain by drinking, no matter how irrational that idea might have been.

Would you say that was you too, Jjmarty?

D
Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The thoughts will come Jjmarty - they are a direct expression of the addiction. People find different ways of dealing with them though. AA suggests asking a higher power to remove them, AVTR suggests you view them as a deep basic 'addictive voice' originating within some primitive part of the old brain, others suggest simply making a firm commitment not to listen and not to drink.

We have no control, many of us, over the thought that precedes the first drink. The trick is about how to deal with that issue - at least for many of us.

All the best in your efforts.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Focus on the damage that alcohol has caused, if there is anyway (as you say no guarentee), but if there is anyway that the relationship will be repaired, it is going to be through you sorting out your drinking, actions and people changing can speak volumes to people!!

Maybe write it all down, sometimes that helps inbed the reasons for doing something!!