learning is power!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

learning is power!

I mentioned to my bf that since his H AD told him that she mostly stays inside with her friends to stay out of trouble that he might mention counseling and recovery as a more enjoyable wash to live life. He responded in short that he won't mention it. That she's doing just fine. Before i started reading and posting here i would have tried to force him to handle the situation as I would handle it. Instead when i had the urge to badger him i reminded myself that doing so would lead to a fight and a setback in our communication and that instead i can express my frustration at his denial here in safety!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good lesson, that one took me a long time to learn.

I also learned that just because someone sees things differently than I do, it doesn't mean one of us is right and the other is wrong, it just means we have different opinions. It's not up to me to convince anyone to think the way I do.

Sometimes my husband and I had differing views on how my son should be handling his addiction/recovery...and in the end it didn't matter because what we thought had nothing to do with what my son chose to do with his life.

Hard lesson but one that will bring peace to your heart.

Hugs
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. You can lead them to the water but you cannot force them to drink, isn't that the old saying?

It's a good thing when you can see your own progress.

XXX
Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm feeling good about my progress. He wanted me to go with him when he sees her tomorrow but since I've not been awful about her he was able to hear and understand that my reason for not wanting to go isn't because i have a problem with her but that i feel that they need to have discussions about how she's doing that I simply do not have a part in. I don't want to be the excuse for the visit to be superficial. Her life is at stake. Every time I think of her i am terrified for what will happen to him if something happens to her.