Notices

First meeting?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First meeting?

Sorry to post twice in the same day.

I found an addiction center in town that holds public AA meetings every night. I think I need to go, but I don't want to. I think it's the best place to start because they have daily meetings and I think that if I am going to have any chance at this, I'd like to go to a meeting every day, at the same place.

I have spent today reading the 12 steps and 12 traditions, so I know a little going in. I am literally terrified to go, but I know myself and if I am not there I will be drinking.

I just wondered what advice a anyone has. Just anything at all that might be good advice for me?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Show up, hold your breath and walk in. Keep an open mind and try to relax. We have all been newcomers, just think, if you go, you never have to go to your first AA meeting again

I go to AA and I am sober 14 months now. It is life changing. I only had a tiny bit of faith and willingness and that is all you need. The rest comes later. One day at time.

You do not have to talk or discuss anything. Just grab a chair and listen.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chloe, I think going to that first meeting might be the very best gift you can give yourself!

That being said, going to your first meeting is scary for everyone. It was for me. If you can get there a little early and introduce yourself as a newcomer, someone will likely take you under their wing. You'll probably get some phone numbers, too. Don't be afraid to use them.

Once the meeting starts, don't feel like you have to say anything. If they are passing shares around a circle, when they get to you it is perfectly okay to say, "I'm Chloe, and I'm just here to listen. I'd like to pass tonight."

I hope you'll go.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing to lose, right? At least for that hour or hour and a half, you won't be drinking. In the beginning AA is very soothing and you may find that it is what you need. You will be out of your house and around sober people.

Does that sound helpful? They will give you ideas how to not pick up that first drink.

oh - edited to add - please post as much as you want to post - ask all the questions you want here, or talk about things that are bothering you - that's what this site is for!! Welcome to SR.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is really great advice and I love that you all took time to tell me all of this. I think I will just slip in and stay in the background. The less I'm noticed, the better. For sure just being there and taking a positive step in the right direction will help. Thanks so much!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Man... Sitting here in the parking lot meeting starts in 6 minutes
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy to say I got my white chip. They told me to write the date on it with a permanent marker. 7-7-14.... A good date!
It was great. So glad I went
Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you went too. Good for you

D
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for going!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chloe2t View Post
Sorry to post twice in the same day.

I found an addiction center in town that holds public AA meetings every night. I think I need to go, but I don't want to. I think it's the best place to start because they have daily meetings and I think that if I am going to have any chance at this, I'd like to go to a meeting every day, at the same place.

I have spent today reading the 12 steps and 12 traditions, so I know a little going in. I am literally terrified to go, but I know myself and if I am not there I will be drinking.

I just wondered what advice a anyone has. Just anything at all that might be good advice for me?
Great stuff Chloe, but please understand that its very difficult, if not impossible to stay sober by just going to meetings. If you are serious about this, and want to recover then its best to get to work on the 12 steps right away with a solid sponsor who knows what he/she is doing. I have seen it so many times, hundreds if not thousands of times. People come in, get comfortable, get a little time under their belts and dont work the steps, go back out drinking again and die. Buried many.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

great stuff
just keep coming back to the meetings and you say it yourself you will not be drinking while at the meetings : )

aa is the place i go and its the only place i have found that is full of people just like me i get my answers from the meetings and the people there have really helped me
so good luck to you and keep coming back : )
Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff Chloe!!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aw thanks everyone. Matt I'm actually going to two meetings today. I want to go to the late meeting but I'm also going to attend a step meeting. I know what the steps say but I'm not very clear on how to "work" them. I connected with a couple of ladies after the meeting but not sure how much time they have in or who might be a good sponsor for me
Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll share what a good friend shared with me about going to an AA meeting. He said to treat it like a job interview. Dress up nice, show up early and introduce yourself to everyone you can, help in any and all ways possible and people will start to see that you mean business about your recovery and take you in under their wings : ) In other words and my take from his advice is that we can go to meetings and just sit there, stare at our phones, not interact with others and no one will really pay much attention to us. Eventually we'll get tired of the meetings and stop going and relapse! Or, we can do the opposite!

Sober friends, especially when we're new to recovery is so vitally important!!!

YOU got this!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Getting ready for my third meeting. Just hit 48 hours sober. I have connected worth someone who was at yesterday's open meeting AND today's step meeting. It's a woman, and also a mom like me.... I need to find out if she might be willing and able to sponsor me herself, or point me in the right direction. She is very positive open and honest. I like her and we're meeting early this evening before the meeting to talk more
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a sponsor!!!!