Notices

Day one...

Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one...

Newcomer to the website... Looking for some advice.. I have been a heavy liquor drinker on and off for over 10 years.. I have recently come to the conclusion that I am sick of letting alcohol run my life, ruin my relationships, etc. I have very limited support.. and a serious battle with this addiction.. I have quit SO many times but it always gets the best of me on a bad day.. I am trying to start my life over and learn to manage without.. I have been drinking non stop for the past few months.. unfortunately, a detox program is not an option for me, My employer will not allow me to take the time off from work.. I have no financial support so losing my job will result in losing my home, which is not an option.. I have SEVERE withdrawals.. tremors so bad I cannot walk/drive, eye shaking, headaches, etc, etc.... Is it safe to quit "cold turkey" or should I try and wean myself off.. I MUST be able to keep my job during all of this.. but I am BEYOND 100% committed to not let alcohol lead my life anymore... Advice anyone?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your decision to pursue a sober life!

As for withdrawals - if you have health concerns you should see a doctor. Everyone's detox experience is slightly different, so no one here can tell you exactly what to expect.

Best of Luck!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome I personally, would see a Doctor for advice about withdrawing, as they do sound pretty nasty
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yep, straight to the doctor. He/she can be of invaluable help with this. I just quit a week ago with mine's help and I feel fantastic. Just schedule your start of quitting for your weekend. Try to taper off for a week before.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are in us you are entitled to family medical leave act your dr can put u
Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On medical leave. Your employer doesn't have to know your diagnoses. If u don't get medical help to detox you WILL end up with no job house or life anyway. I always use to use my job too that didn't hold up in the long run. Nothing good comes from drinking. I found out the hard way. Your body's dependence on alcohol will follow you into work eventually if it hasn't already
Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eugh yeah I'm back on day one myself and going through withdrawal. Nausea, shakiness, vomiting. so much fun. and oh god the anxiety.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I quit alcohol on a Saturday and went to work on the Monday, though that won't work for everyone, I also checked in with a Dr to make sure things were going to be safe, sometimes cold turkey isn't safe, so it's best getting checked out!!

You'll also find loads of support here at SR!!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the responses.. I have been through withdrawal before but this is by far one of the worst.. Wish i would have had this motivation on my 4 day weekend .. Attended my first AA meeting on my lunch hour.. come to find out the meetings are two buildings down from my office and I never knew....
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. This is my day one also. Planning to try AA tonight. I hope your withdrawal goes as smoothly as possible.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you xxz - welcome.

I was a lost soul when I found SR. I was skeptical that a forum could do anything to help me. Just knowing I wasn't alone anymore meant so much. I felt instantly less anxious - and stuck around. I hope you'll feel the same and stay with us - you are never alone with the struggle. You can do this.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've had to be signed off from work

Good luck, day one is the start - you can do this!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sad that so many people battle addiction.. but its comforting to know there are so many others out there in my same shoes.... Been battling this for years.. and this is the first time I have openly admitted/joined a group.. went to AA.. I hope it helps... Out of options and I have learned I cannot do it on my own.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't read through all the replies, so you might have already answered this question. If you are shaking, trembling ect. Work is not going to want you for much longer anyway

Go into rehab--get help. My X held down a job for years, shaking and everything. One day it just hit him. Go get help, don't put your family through having to see you slowly loose everything. It's not fun, it's heartbreaking and it destroys
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xxzx29bxx View Post
Sad that so many people battle addiction.. but its comforting to know there are so many others out there in my same shoes.... Been battling this for years.. and this is the first time I have openly admitted/joined a group.. went to AA.. I hope it helps... Out of options and I have learned I cannot do it on my own.
This site helped me to realise I wasn't alone. For years I've been 'self medicating' with alcohol and there are many of us do this. Well done for going to AA it's tough admitting you have a problem but that is the first step. You can do this.