Notices

binge issue

Old 07-06-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

binge issue

Hi

I suspected I may have a problem a few years ago, but due to my cultural upbringing in my home country, binge drinking was quite acceptable amongst my peers and friends. I don't drink alcohol during the work week, but every few weekends I'll start drinking with friends and then sometimes not know when to stop... They get memory loss as well as me.

I' not sure whether I should try the moderate drinking program or the do a full blown recovery program, because I'm not dependent on it from a day to day perspective. It's when I am in social events I can manage things 90% of the time, but it's the other 10% I can't, and I want to eliminate that.

I know that losing some of my friends and changing my social activities is going to be a part of this, and that is somewhat scary.

For example, in 2014, I have binged to the point of memory loss 4 times.

Because of business, something I could do online or over the phone would be preferred.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

John
Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John,

It's not how often or how much we drink, but what happens to us when we drink. Black outs are very scary. I experienced them too, in the last months of my drinking.

Moderating alcohol is impossible if you are an alcoholic. Once you cross the invisible line there is no going back. Stopping drinking is the best decision to make. Many of us use SR as our main support for recovery, and I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum John!!

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, then making a change in your life is the solution.

You'll find loads of support and advice here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. IF you’re an alcoholic moderation hardly works which leads to something that does and that total abstinence, your culture or not. Reading a lot of posts here will help you in any rough moments uncounted. Honesty and acceptance of the fact that I could not drink in safety helped me in sobriety. You have a gift of youth to grasp onto and enjoy and it’s soon enough.

BE WELL