Notices

Relapsed after 5 months

Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed after 5 months

Hi,

I'm new to this site, great to see its here! I just relapsed after 5 months of being clean and sober.

In the past 3 weeks I have drank 3 times. I'm still going to AA meetings 5-6 times a week, still doing the 5 basics but I can feel myself slowly slipping back in to my old ways.

Some advice on what else I could be doing to get back on track would be great. I dont want to live my old life of a alcoholic and addict! I feel discontent, nervous, fearful of what each day brings.

Advice would be great, I really wanna get sober again!

thx
Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi NewLife77. I just relapsed after almost eight months so I can understand the slippery slope. Just like you, I definitely don't want to go back to my old lifestyle. Welcome to SR!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you might need to change some things in your life to help you ease back into recovery. When you drank the 3 times, were you out with friends, at home alone? Maybe you can look at the circumstances and find a way to make that not happen again. And, do keep reading and posting here. There is lots of support.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

Never heard of the "5 basics".

I worked the 12 steps with a sponsor. The steps are the suggested solution for AA members. Are you working the steps?

Glad you are here! :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

All you have to do is not pick up that first drink.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NewLife!!

Simply taking alcohol out of your life and carrying on with the same routine generally results in sitting around with plenty of time thinking about alcohol, that was never sustainable for me.

I found to get longer lasting results, I needed to change my lifestyle, new activities, new things to do during evenings/weekends, the question is what did you quit alcohol for? is it to sit around merely clinging on to every day struggling to simply abstain from alcohol, or did you want to live up to your potential and achieve things in life with all this new found time, this change in viewpoint, a more positive one helped me in so many ways!!

It's great to have you onboard!! You can do this!!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NewLife77 same case like yours but i did not enjoy drinking it was a blunder dont know about u but i felt it was tasteless didnot get the high i use to complete waste doing it
Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

NewLife77, its really hard in the beginning and try not to beat yourself up about it. You had 5 months of sobriety so yo know you can do it. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well said neferkamichael You had 5 months of sobriety so yo know you can do it. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, NewLife You've made a great decision in joining here and will find plenty of support and information. Well done, too, in not letting a slip become a slide and getting back on the sober horse
Old 07-06-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. There was a common theme to the slips which I have recognized and will make a conscience effort to stay away from the trigger.

I'm starting to forgive myself a bit after posting here and seeing the support and that i'm not alone.

I guess that fact that I feel guilt and shame are a good thing, at least i'm aware i made some mistakes and need to action.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! My last relapse came after six months sober. I was devastated and determined to never drink again. Four and a half years later, I'm still sober.

Start over and make this the last relapse.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Newlife,

Congrats on your 5 months of sobriety. We all are just one drink away. Don't ever forget this. Start over and step up your program. Together we can do this!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think SR is an excellent addition to your recovery efforts. Welcome. Hope to see more of ya around : )
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here already NewLife

Welcome to SR

D