Notices

Newly Sober (Day 2)

Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly Sober (Day 2)

Hello All,

As the title states, this is officially Day 2 of sobriety for me, which isnt much, but its a start . I was primarly a binge drinker, not someone who drank daily. At most I was 2-3 times a week but on my drinking days Id have 15+ drinks in one sitting. Ive tried to just have one or two drinks...but I cant. If I have one or two, I cant stop. Its both a physical and mental compulsion. With multiple (and I mean MULTIPLE) drunken mistakes, terrible hangovers, blackouts everytime I went out, spending money I couldn't afford to spend, lying, mooching, and one DUI, my drinking had finally gotten to the point where I was going to lose my family.

After a rather ugly drunken night on Wed, my wife (a saint for dealing with me for as long as she has, 11 yrs) gave the ultimatum of stop or get out. Truth be told, I was ready anyway. I had stopped enjoying being out with my friends and started to chase being drunk. I was being a crap husband and a worse father. After a slip on July 4th , I am now on the up and up. Tomorrow will be my first AA meeting and Im also going to an outpatient rehab center shortly as well.

So thats my story, thus far. Im scared, anxious, nervous, and excited all at the same time. Ive spent the last 7 years in an off and on state of inebriation so being and staying sober for longer than 3 days at a time will be an interesting experience that I look forward too. Any and all advice is appreciated from anyone and I hope that in time I will be able to provide some as well.

Thanks for reading
Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All the very best! As a binge drinker you might be spared too much in the way of withdrawal as you are used to having gaps between bouts. Hope so anyway.

In any case brilliant first step taken! I go to AA. It helps a lot but it took me a while to get used to it, so persevere!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay! Day two is brilliant. I hope you're feeling okay and you sound strong to continue.
I've recently relapsed and I must say that re-learning sobriety is hard so these initial days are valuable. Don't give up and however cheesy it sounds, just remember - one day at a time! I have a propensity to want to change my entire life immediately, right now, all at once. So just remembering that helps.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome! You'll find a lot of encouragement and knowledge here, a lot of useful things to help you. I'm on day 10 this time, and the first few days were the hardest. Hang in there, be easy on yourself and good for you for taking action and getting control back!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just wishing you WELL!

You're in the drivers seat now. Keep looking forward. Don't look back...............you're not going that way!

Congrats on Day 2!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am also on Day 2 and feeling pretty good. My addictive personality has taken over though and I am reading all I can on AA, this Forum, etc. but I am just going to keep trying very, very, hard! My plan for tonight is sparkling water with lemon! Wish you the best!! Be strong! 😊
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

SR is a great place for support and advice, the first few weeks can be an emotional roller coaster but hang in there, the benefits of Sobriety are only around the corner!!

Great to have you onboard, and great job on Day 2!!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard! Living in the pattern of binge drinking is a nightmare that never ends, I lived it for many many years and it got progressively worse to the point where my binges would range anywhere from 4-6 days (15+ drinks a day, sometimes up to 25) and I could never predict for how long and when it would end. You don't have to keep living a double life, you can do this!

I'm also doing intensive outpatient and it's been helpful so good call on that
Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome and encouraging words! Its great to be a part of such a positive community!