Notices

24 days and weepy

Old 07-05-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 days and weepy

Thus is my first visit and post here. I'm 24 days along, I kinda feel like I don't deserve full credit becAuse I'm on painkillers from surgery. But I intend to use this opportunity to end a habit that has controlled my life for at least 15 years. I have been on and off antidepressants over the years some actually made me crave alcohol more. I started again about 5 months ago due to excessive weepiness, I would just cry over everything. The med worked great for that ( and gaining an unwanted 15 lbs) . But the past few days I'm crying a lot again. I'm wondering if this is a typical withdrawal symptom. I would very much appreciate any ideas or comments. Thanks! RR
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Redran!!

I only have experience of alcohol withdrawal, but my emotions/feelings were definitely all over the place as the body adjusted to doing without what it always has had, things levelled out though with time.

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Redran! I know emotions can be really variable especially in early recovery. If it continues you might want got check with your doctor.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry. I cry all the time over the littlest things. I used to try to hold it in. Now just cry whenever I damn well feel. It's ok.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Redran! We're so glad you joined us. You found a wonderful place for encouragement.

I was very emotional too for a couple of months. We've put ourselves through so much - we need time to heal. You will get there. Posting here should help calm the anxiety a bit.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Crying is often a good thing. Physically it can help your body relax. In my experience, I was very emotional in early recovery. I'm glad you're 24 days sober.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I am so grateful for all the very quick, thoughtful, understanding and supportive responses! It is not only a relief to hear others relate, but a tremendous weight off my shoulders seeing how much people want to help each other. Thank you! I think this site just what I need!
-RR
Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been sober for over 100 days, and I have cried EVERY ONE ON THOSE DAYS. But if I drank I would cry more
Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Redran and welcome to the SR forum

Oh geez. Yes, I found myself utterly frustrated by just not being able to reach for a habitual 'fix'. Sobering up is such a sobering process

Being post-surgery is really stressful so do not underestimate the impact this may have on your state of mind. It might be a good idea to check in with your Primary Care Doc or Psychiatrist.