Notices

First meeting tonight

Old 07-05-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First meeting tonight

After 30 years of drinking, heavier each year to the point of blackouts every single evening for about a year, I am heading to my first meeting tonight! Needless to say, I am terrified! Really scared. Thank you for all the kind words and supportive thoughts! There are times when I am certain that I can do this and times times I just want to give up! A feeling felt by all I am sure! But I am going to do this! I will take all the help I can get! Thanks!😍
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Topoford, I'm in the same boat. 30 years drinking here too. Going to a meeting sounds like a wonderful idea. There you can get support and see a new outlook. You can do this! A sober life is waiting on you, grab it and run. Best wishes!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I went to my first meeting a week ago and totally understand, I was terrified. I was SO glad I did afterwards, and I felt peace for the first time in a long time knowing I was finally moving forward. Be proud of your courage to try it!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

It could be the doorway to a brand new life, Topoford. Go through it with everything you have and, when you get back tonight, congratulate yourself for having done something positive and brave. The action you're about to take is the action of a winner!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck Topoford. Do not be discouraged if you come out of the meeting confused. Make sure you get some phone numbers.

Great decision.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! All of you have brought tears to my eyes! ❤️❤️❤️ I will report back later! Going to the bookstore now for some books on recovery! Thank you!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I was scared to death before my first meeting, I kept putting it off. And I hesitated before I went in and then was so relieved when I finally made it. Totally changed my life.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations topoford, I hope you find that meeting to be everything that I've found in AA. The program and my group are saving my life, one day at a time. I know it's frightening, I was terrified to go to my first meeting. But the fear was washed away very quickly when I realized that everyone in that group was just like me, alcoholics that wanted to quit drinking. Now they are like family to me, better friends than I have ever had because they understand. Good luck! Sounds like you are truly ready to make this work.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I say this to everyone who is going to their first meeting.

Every single person in the room had to walk through the door for the first time just like you. They were scared. They were anxious. So they will understand more than anyone you know how you're feeling. Embrace it and they will embrace you.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great decision!!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So wow! The meeting was amazing! Quite a small group, maybe 12 women. They all jumped up to give me numbers, offer advice, and basically directed the whole meeting to how things go from here! I felt very important. Some of the stories I heard about relapse were a bit discouraging, but I am just going to work very hard and try not to give up! Please keep me in your prayers! As I will all of your intentions! ��