Vomiting Blood?

Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vomiting Blood?

My husband just threw up what appeared to be blood. No coffee grind appearance. I realize this could be many things. He does not want to go to a doctor and is lying down. Has anyone else had this experience or been through this?

Thanks.

Peace.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He needs to see a Dr, whether someone has experienced it or not he needs to be medically examined and treated!!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know.

I'm not asking for emotional support. He is 6'3" and I cannot physically force him to go. Was hoping for some input from others who have been through this, though I know, really, it could be a variety of causes - drinking related or not (but let's be real, it's drinking related...).

I will continue to encourage him to see a doctor, of course.

Peace.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is his reasons for not seeing a Dr? it sounds crazy not to get checked out, because blood is pretty serious!!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know...I had to talk with him for a good 15 minutes just to get him to acknowledge this was no joke.... he was trying to make excuses!

He is very stubborn. Frankly, I don't think he wants to face reality. Simple as that.

I seem to have made a bit of headway...he says "if you (I) want me to go...." so I am throwing some of his things in a bag and getting directions from my friend and neighbor to nearest hospital (have not lived in this area long).

Thanks for your concern

Peace.

Edit: now to actually get him IN THE CAR...
Old 07-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dealt with a lot of blood on my tour of duty with my ex. If it's a medical emergency then you can call 911. I did that plenty of times. He was always angry afterward, even on the occasions that he had a life threatening injury and needed medical attention. Nothing can compel an adult to get unwanted medical treatment. I get that you want this to be his wake up call, but I wouldn't count on it.
Sorry.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

he will need an GI consult after evaluation by the ER physician. They will run bloodwork and probably scope him..(might be a NG tube, IDK), depends if it is just his esophagus or the fundus (upper) stomach. it is best to get him in there although they most likely will not run any big tests tonight unless it is an emergent situation, it's a holiday, the doctor needs to be called in. Emergent would be continuing to vomit blood or passing it through his rectum.

it's hard to assess anything when the causes are so variable, age, physical condition, amount of alcohol he is currently drinking and for how long, is he a smoker, you get the drill
Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

My niece is dead! Go to the Dr. I don't know about your husband, but that is never good.

In her case she had oxy intoxication. She was sober at the time, it is a condition where too much for too long left major organs over saturated.
She went to emergency they gave her lots of blood, she did not admit addictio, they released her two months later she died. 35 years old.

Last edited by Firefall; 07-04-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Good luck! Hope it's nothing too major. (((HUGS)))
Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is NOTHING worse than an alcoholic grown man in dire need of medical attention who absolutely refuses help. Your best bet is to call an ambulance and if he refuses (he has that right) wait until he passes out from lack of blood and then imply consent upon him.

I know exactly what you are going through. I hate the games they play.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same someone spell 9 1 1........ I'm no doctor, but vomiting blood is not normal... Call 911 and let the firemen talk to him, maybe the can scare him a little.....
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just dont let him conveniently hes an alcoholic.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I puked blood a few times right before I stopped drinking.
I never went to the doc but it did motivate me to quit.

I realized I was getting to the end of the road physically and might just kill myself with this.

I was also crapping blood--you might ask him if that is a symptom.

I think my GI was so inflamed from straight vodka I was bleeding both ends.

Crazy how anyone could keep drinking after that, isn't it?
But at least I stopped for good pretty quickly after that and symptoms resolved.

Insist he go to the doctor.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Did he go?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((((Hugs)))) OM, I hope you were able to convince him to see a Doc.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, advice, and well wishes. I really appreciate it.

I did convince him to go...I drove him to the ER. I gave him the evil eye and made gestures until he said,"My wife wants me to tell you that I drank blah blah blah..." and he was actually almost completely honest with them about his drinking habits. But I don't for one second believe that is because he was having a moment of realization or acceptance of the severity of the situation - he knew damn well I would have no problem correcting him if he lied lol. I only had to do minimal correcting.

Not surprisingly, he is drinking once again today. Someone mentioned me hoping this was a wake up call... honestly, I expect nothing to wake this man up at this point. I would bet money that if it were something more severe, he would simply say,"It's too late for me anyway..." and use that as an excuse to continue drinking.

He was given a referral to a GI doctor. They did tests over a period of time to ascertain whether it was a continual bleed by measuring I believe the hemoglobin in his blood. They released him a little after 4 in the morning.

Thanks again everyone. Hope you are all well.

Peace.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, OnawMiniya. Hope you were able to rest today after the long night.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's frustrating that he's drinking again, but to be honest I understand it, I did the same, used to throw up in the morning, even make promises to myself that I wasn't going to drink that particular day to give my body a break, but fast forward to that evening after work and I was back drinking again!!

It's madness but that's alcoholism . . . but be sure to look after yourself through all of this!!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Originally Posted by Cathryn2001 View Post
Thinking of you, OnawMiniya. Hope you were able to rest today after the long night.

Keep in touch OnawMiniya

Huggs
Old 07-05-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OM,

You seem kind of numb or maybe you just are really detached enough that you don't need to freak out about this. I'm glad you are not panicking or needling emotional support, but I just feel sad that this is the experience you are having as a spouse.

Whatever your feelings or thoughts, I wish you lots of peace and something joyful soon.

Blessings,
LI