Notices

Scared

Old 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Just typed a very long sob story about my life and feelings and it never posted! I am not sober, have never even tried! But I have thought of it for years. Scared of failing again! 😥
Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Topoford!!

Great to have you herE, you'll find loads of support on SR!!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Topoford!

Sorry your lost your first post. Sometimes that happens if it's a long one and the connection times out. You can copy to clipboard your post and save it that way just to have a copy in case that happens again.

If you're thinking about sobriety, sounds like it's the right choice for you! No need to be afraid of failing. Trying something utterly new involves risk. But if you want sobriety more than you want to be a drinker, the obvious choice is to just go for it!

Have you thought of a plan or program? Some use SR solely. We are all different and respond differently, so there is a plan out there that will work for you.

Glad you are here
Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! As I said, not sober. Long story short, I have been drinking forever. I am 49, married with an awesome 10 year old son. I drink every day from about 4 until about 8'when I go to bed. I have had no memory of these evenings for almost a year. I placed a child for adoption at age 19, got breast cancer at age 29, diagnosed with melanoma in 2005 and in 2012, more breast cancer. I am currently stage 3 which means it is out of the breast and in my skin. Why am I drinking? These are all horrible things but still. Oh, forgot to mention that I have a twin who went to rehab at age 18 and has been sober since! I am such a loser. Crying now and feeling so very, very scared. I guess this is taking the first step but I am so embarrassed to let any of my friends know. Crap! ��
Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Together we can beat this beast!!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your health situation, Topoford. As for telling friends, that's not even necessary. Only if you feel like it. You'll find support from other alcoholics no matter if you share with family and friends or not.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Topoford I'm so sorry for your circumstances but really glad you found your way here Sobriety will give you back your evenings, your memory and your self-esteem. You're worth this xx
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry to hear about your health problems. I wish you all the best with your treatment.

You are not alone in your fear. For most of us, this is a very scary step. I felt like I was stepping off a cliff when I stopped drinking and I had no idea what to do or how to manage life. We understand and we are here to offer support.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Topoford

Those are some pretty heavy things to be dealing with, but adding drinking to all that can only make it worse really....I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here

I can only imagine how scary it must be, but you've found a great place for support and understanding.

Really glad to have you join us

D
Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your kind responses! I am interested in setting a sobriety date and then reducing each day. I seriously cannot leave my son after all the time I was away from him and all the horrible side effects of cancer that he witnessed. What should I expect if I stop all at once? I never have hangovers! Well, maybe like once a month. I have been drinking rum and diet coke. It used to take me two weeks to go thru the large Bacardi. Now I can finish it in less than 5 days AND one half of my husbands vodka. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I wish it was during the school year and my son does not have to witness this! I am simply terrified!! Should I try AA? Please advise! ��
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Topoford

I recommend everyone see a Dr before they quit...I think it's even more important in your case with your other health issues.

Get some, good professional advice on how to go about this

D
Old 07-04-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Topoford View Post
Thank you! As I said, not sober. Long story short, I have been drinking forever. I am 49, married with an awesome 10 year old son. I drink every day from about 4 until about 8'when I go to bed. I have had no memory of these evenings for almost a year. I placed a child for adoption at age 19, got breast cancer at age 29, diagnosed with melanoma in 2005 and in 2012, more breast cancer. I am currently stage 3 which means it is out of the breast and in my skin. Why am I drinking? These are all horrible things but still. Oh, forgot to mention that I have a twin who went to rehab at age 18 and has been sober since! I am such a loser. Crying now and feeling so very, very scared. I guess this is taking the first step but I am so embarrassed to let any of my friends know. Crap! ��
I was diagnosed stage 3 melanoma in 06. drinking wasn't gonna help and I don't think it will help you either.( and im here long after even my oncologist didn't think I would be!)

YOU ARE NOT A LOSER!!
yer just a sick person.

why you are drinking could be because you are an alcoholic using the one coping mechanism you know?
but the great news is you can stop, change how you feel about yourself, and cope with everything IF you make the decision tou want to stop drinking and are willing to do whatever you have to do to stop.

PLEASE want to stop and be willing!! and for yourself,too!!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Topoford View Post
I am simply terrified!! Should I try AA? Please advise! ��
courage is a good thing!!

should you try AA? AA has a book titled "alcoholics anonymous. it is called the big book. id suggest doing a google search for "big book onlne" and read it. the first 164 pages lay out the plan of recovery AA uses. after that there are personal stories of some of the members of AA.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We understand how hard this can be and we support your efforts. I'd ask your doctor for help in getting thru withdrawal safely.

I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.