Notices

Looking for the Light

Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for the Light

So this is my second time in my life that I am trying to get sober and stay that way. I am 28 yo and went to rehab when I was 24 and have put together a pretty successful career as a chemist and a member of my church and community, however, I relapsed pretty hardcore the last few months and it all came crashing down when I got my first OVI ever...I do not know what happened I thought I was doing ok and then I got blackout drunk with some people that I really do not care for to begin with and tried to drive to a family members house and got pulled over, now my career and legal consequences are up in the air and so I am trying to re-commit to my sobriety...Can anyone recommend a book that helped them in the beginning?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Alcoholics Anonymous" - the Big Book.

Sorry for the trouble you've gotten yourself into. That's the road alcohol takes us down - and it's nothing but down.

Welcome to the site, and I pray you'll stop today.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Brown! Take it from someone who has already had 3 DUI'S, it only gets worse if we continue to drink! Thank God if this is all it takes for you! AA saved my life so I would suggest finding a meeting and going!

All the best!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrownsChem24 View Post
So this is my second time in my life that I am trying to get sober and stay that way. I am 28 yo and went to rehab when I was 24 and have put together a pretty successful career as a chemist and a member of my church and community, however, I relapsed pretty hardcore the last few months and it all came crashing down when I got my first OVI ever...I do not know what happened I thought I was doing ok and then I got blackout drunk with some people that I really do not care for to begin with and tried to drive to a family members house and got pulled over, now my career and legal consequences are up in the air and so I am trying to re-commit to my sobriety...Can anyone recommend a book that helped them in the beginning?
"Alcoholics Anonymous: the story of how many thousands of men and women have recovered from Alcoholism."
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

The Complete Book of Running is a great book for an activity that will help immensely. What has helped me is not obsessing on the problem, but instead accepting I can't drink without consequence and that it is nonsense for me. Other than that my reading material is about improving aspects of my life and health.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spiritual Path of the Warrior.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are not alone! It will get better. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle gives you a spiritual and gentle way to change your life.

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav was pivotal for me.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome BrownsChem24

There are some terrific reading choices here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

I hope you'll stick around. SR helped me turn my life around - maybe we can help you do the same?

D
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Browns.

Have you read "Under the Influence"? It might appeal to you as a scientist as it explains some of the physiological aspects of what we are dealing with. I found it useful because it made sense, understanding why I responded differently than other people helped me let go when and not continue beating my head against the wall. For me, it removed a lot of judgement I was making about my situation and helped me move on.