Notices

Any similar experiences?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any similar experiences?

Hi folks. 43 year old husband & father of 3 (15, 13, 11). Wanna briefly share my story to see if anyone's experienced something similar.

First off, semi heavy (Sun-Thu 6-8 beers/day, Fri-Sat 12pack/day) beer drinker. It's caused me to add probably 20 pounds & I've got your standard "beer belly". Still pretty active in spite of my excess baggage. 2 of the kids pretty heavily involved in sports & the kid in me has me out on a baseball field or basketball court with them a lot. Breathing heavy & sweating like crazy especially on warm humid days, but out there. Segue..

Took Fri Jun 20 off to play golf with friends on what was a warm humid day in Dallas. Around the 12th hole, I started sweating irregularly bad & got dizzy to the point I thought I'd pass out. Buddy immediately drove me to clubhouse so I could get liquids & some air conditioning. Recovered enough to drive myself home for a quick shower & a bed (out by 6pm probably). Felt terrible for the next 3 - 4 days. Nausea, headache, fatigue, etc.

Here's where things get weird. Ever since that day, I can't drink. Beer tastes different to the point of being awful, honestly. Tried a flavored beer most of us have probably heard of, same thing. Can't get more than 1 or 2 down at a time & really don't want to. I'm drinking water at dinner & my friends & fam are looking at me like "huh?".

It's been a strange couple of weeks to say the least. 10-15 years of beer drinking stopped in its tracks due to a bout of dehydration & heat exhaustion. Anyone else ever experience the switch just sorta turning itself off like this? And by the way, yeah I love it & feel great. But I'm also worried the switch is gonna turn itself back on & would like to hear from someone that's gone thru something similar.

Thx guys
Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

trying to help...

Hi there..

I WISH this could happen to me...would make things simpler in my life....LOL. It sounds like a gift - maybe run with it and see what happens?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had that happen to me once. When I had rehydrated myself and felt better I was right back to my cocktails on the same day. So, I agree with Kitty, it sounds like a gift.

You said that you are feeling great since not having a beer (isn't the difference amazing?). I vote for keeping that momentum going.

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That could be an enviable event. You need to tell your doctor about it. I don't think changes in sensory perception like taste and smell are normal to dehydration and heat exhaustion.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum chrisintx!!

Any sudden physical changes should probably be checked out by a Dr, you never know what is going on inside, just to be safe!!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never experienced this, except after a major medical emergency. I didn't drink after that for about a year. I wish I never would have started up again. The switch did turn back on, and yours eventually will to as long as you continue with 1 or 2 drinks a day. The addiction took ahold of me and I got worse and worse. I think you should probably see a Dr, and give up the alcohol for good. Take care!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like your body finally told you to stop, its a gift
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had heat exhaustion and dehydration and stopped drinking for a while. Didn't have a taste for it and could only manage a couple of flavored beers like you. It didn't taste the same. I picked it back up again though after my body was a little better and continued as a daily heavy drinker for another eleven years. Use what you have been given and get support for staying quit. I wish I had recognized the opportunity at the time. It would have saved me a lot of trouble.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it may be a gift but I would visit my doctor if I was you.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. As mentioned perhaps you can consider this as a gift. Most new people to these forums don’t realize that alcohol in any form is NOT a health drink, in fact it’s toxic.

BE WELL