Notices

No rest for the weary

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No rest for the weary

Fair warning - this post will likely be rambling on, but I must get it out there while I think of it, and maybe some of you will relate and maybe some of you will have suggestions. I have just zeroed in on something that rings very true to me (thanks FreeOwl!): I have overstretched myself as long as I can remember and have used alcohol as a primary method to unwind. Now I am not equipped to rest or relax by any other means. I do exercise and walk a lot, and feel much better afterwards, but not enough to want to go to bed early. I've been aware of overbooking and overplanning, and have scaled down considerably. Nevertheless, I get very little sleep. At night, I stay up because after the busy day I've given to my family, it's MY time, and I've always been a night owl. But with kids you have to be an early riser too, so that's a challenge. In the early morning, once my mind wakes up, no matter how little sleep I got, I'm not able to stop thinking and go back to sleep, so I go and start my day. Are any of you in the same boat? How do you RELAX?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to come home from work and reach for alcohol, that would be my evening numbing plan until bedtime, the quick fix to escape from a stressful day.

However in time I've realised relaxing is not a quick fix solution, it's a pattern of life, which is why it's so difficult in early sobriety, we still want the quick fix but nothing compares to alcohol.

Instead by getting the right sleep, the right nutrition, exercise, fresh air it all can filter into a more healthy lifestyle which equips the body to deal with stress easier, taking out the need for that quick fix solution.

In practice, I now sleep more than my usual 6hrs induced by alcohol, I've reduced my caffeine throughout the day at work, eat regular healthy meals compared to skipping them and substituting them for alcohol, I go for a long walk everyday when I get home from work in the fresh air, drink plenty of herbal teas in the evenings and make sure I get to bed for more hours than I used to.

We have to equip our bodies to deal with the stresses of life through our lifestyle rather than the quick fixes that addiction sold us!!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're right - quick fix was another appeal of alcohol, I never had the time or could be bothered with anything else, always on the go-go-go. Sheesh. Okay, my commitment for tonight at least is to go to bed one hour after the kids. No matter what and no matter what still needs to be done. I will even stay away from the temptations of SR, which is my most recent drug of choice.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exercise and prayer for me. I don't even try to lay down until I can't keep my eyes open. Prayers to you Sweetie.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi melki

Just because we've always done things a certain way doesn't mean we're locked into those patterns forever.

PK makes some good suggestions about the kinds of things you could do to relax your mind and get a little more sleep

D
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I exercise a LOT, almost daily. But sleeping seems like such a bother and a waste of time...
Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At this point I need some tools to learn to relax the mind, which in my case is very restless. I will look into meditation and such. If you have any recommendations or useful threads on it, it would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yoga, yoga and more yoga (and meditation too).

I was overwhelmed with things going on in my life too and I was fully aware that I was going to have to make big changes in my lifestyle or I would keep drinking. As you said, walking and exercise help. But, I got back into yoga and meditation. It's really annoying for someone with an active mind to sit down and focus on meditating, but if you persevere, it helps.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yoga, yoga and more yoga (and meditation too).

I was overwhelmed with things going on in my life too and I was fully aware that I was going to have to make big changes in my lifestyle or I would keep drinking. As you said, walking and exercise help. But, I got back into yoga and meditation. It's really annoying for someone with an active mind to sit down and focus on meditating, but if you persevere, it helps.
Yoga and meditation! I've given yoga several honest tries before and just found it so darn booooring. And you're right, sitting still is plain annoying! Is there any, any other way? But if this is what I have to do for myself, I will.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What type of exercise are you doing? I've always found it to be a big stress reliever.

I've also found that when I don't drink, which of late is clearly too little which is why I'm here at SR, I may not fall asleep as quickly, but I'm more well rested in the AM than when I drink. Quality vs. quantity although the combo of both would be ideal.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gonnachange, I run and walk and hit the gym for many other cardio and strength classes and exercises. My fitness plan could use more focus on flexibility and relaxation; I will look for an approach that works for me.

Yes, I do remember waking up at 3am after drinking, not at all rested.