Notices

Oldthink vs Newthink

Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oldthink vs Newthink

I'm job-hunting right now. At least two dozen resumes a week go out. I've got some interested parties and a part-time gig. My parents have been sending me email addresses for jobs in their town or closer to them.

Oldthink: I don't want to move back there. I moved away from there because they limited my drinking.

I found myself still thinking like this just today.

Newthink: I don't drink. It would be nice to move back to the country. I could help them out more.

Got any Oldthink vs. Newthink?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oldthink: "I cannot take this stress! I'm going to run up to my room, close the door, and pour a triple!"

Newthink: ""Breathe deep. Go upstairs and lie down. Put a do not disturb sign on the door!"
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Not very" Old Think - In the morning at work, I'm not going to drink today. By 3:00pm, I really need a glass of wine...who am I kidding, the whole bottle. Just one more bottle and I swear I'll quit, starting tomorrow.

"Really" New Think - The entire day (sometimes with a few AV's sprinkled in, but getting a bit better)...I have no intention of drinking and am going to the gym directly after work. After the workout, I don't have any cravings for alcohol. :-)
Old 07-02-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Old think: Sure, I'll spend the weekend with the in-laws. As long as I can bring along at least 6 bottles of nice wine.

New think: Ok. I'll spend the weekend with the in-laws. Do you think they noticed how much I drank over the last decade? Do you think they will forgive me for drowning my presence in theirs?

Ugh. I have music to face.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oldthink: "Sure I'll have one! Thanks!" Skip to next visit: "Can I have some?" (Awkward pause)

Newthink: "Don't play into the old stereotype of the family lush. Don't partake of the wine at Thanksgiving dinner."
Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oldthink: I will walk to the bar so I don't have to drink and drive.

Newthink: I will walk past the bar so I get my exercise for the day.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old-think: If I quit drinking everything will be magical and perfect in my life.

New Think: Tying sobriety to the idea of a magical and perfect life is a set up to fail, and a perfect example of the AV at work. That said my life without alcohol is undoubtably easier and more prone to the potential of success.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oldthink - it's 9 am and all I can think about is 5:30 so I can down 3 cold ones before 6 and keep it up all evening till I pass out.

Newthink - it's 9 am and hopefully today is going to be great because I'm not hung over and just getting by. I'll be where I need to be and actually feel present.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oldthink:
Phew! What a long day! Where's the wine? How many glasses can I have tonight without feeling it tomorrow 3 or 4... maybe I can get away with finishing the bottle if I eat something with it...chips? icecream? olives? all of them? I hope my family doesn't notice that I drank the whole bottle myself, whatever, they are asleep now anyways, I am just trolling the internet for attention on a crappy dating site, maybe I can have a cup of tea with some Bailey's in it to end the night... I am so tired, lonely, and buzzed... I think I will text/call someone I just met online...I need someone to make me feel good... oops! I passed out.

Newthink:
Phew! What a long day! Time to take care of me, I've earned it!... I am going to have something to eat... I think I will take a shower... I am going to relax and watch a funny movie... I think I will call someone who cares and tell them about my day... maybe there is time for us to hangout for a bit... if not I will read the forums, have a cup of tea, give myself a foot rub, and use one of those refreshing facial masks I love... I should finish listening to that new audiobook from the library, maybe go for a walk at the same time... Oh it's 9pm... I still have time to put on a load of laundry, better pack my lunch for tomorrow, wash a few dishes, and tidy up a bit while that's going... almost bedtime, got to check my calendar, plan for tomorrow, brush and floss my teeth, put on a nighty, set my alarm, and relax in bed until sleep comes.