Notices

Worried Mama

Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Worried Mama

My oldest daughter is an alcoholic. I feel a little bit alone. Any advice?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a son in the opposite position I would say approach with caution. I know the pain and helplessness I have caused my father but I just can't talk to him about it. Try not to be overbearing or always on her case. Depending on the personality of your daughter things could go a number of ways. I hated my dad confronting me. It just drove me to drink more and strained our relationship. Try to find a peer to talk to her, a friend or a cousin. That worked better in my case.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

Let her know you're concerned about her drinking and worry about her well being. Ask her if there's any way you can help her. Let her know you support her but don't nag. If she's ready, she'll seek recovery. If not, there's nothing you can do to make her want it.

We also have a forum for friends and family of alcoholics that you might find interesting and informative.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're going to have to let her find her own path. Captainwhip is right: the overbearing part can have a negative impact.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well, you are certainly not alone here. Many of us are in the same boat, and support , encourage and share with each other.

there is a lot of good reading here, in what are called 'Stickies', and you may think about joining Al-anon, if you haven't already, for some face to face help.

Keep posting. Friends and Family of Alcoholics forum , like Least suggested, will have a larger viewing.

SR is a fantastic source of help. I came here looking for help to stay sane, when my alcoholic son came to stay with me. Its helped me a lot to get understanding about alcoholism, and to learn about myself too, and what I need.

hugs and welcome. sorry you are having troubles, but you are NOT alone! and we care.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you rakornf. I'm glad you reached out for some support for yourself. I'm sorry for the pain your daughter's addiction is causing you.

There is always someone here, round the clock, to listen and understand. You never have to feel alone with this. I hope you'll keep reading and posting here - hopefully it will help relieve your anxiety.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face Worried Mama

Thanks to all of you for your responses! What a wonderful support system. I will listen to each of you!:
Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

As others have said support for yourself is important as you're looking in on your daughter's addiction, you'll find loads of support here on SR!!