Notices

I told my dad!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Because water is much better.

Talking I told my dad!

I opened up to my father about my struggles with alcohol this past weekend. I didn't hear many words from him when we talked but then he sent me this! I gotta say, I am proud of myself. He's a recovering alcoholic so I was wondering how my comments would affect him. Many of you had encouraged me to talk to him. I did it! I feel like our relationship has changed (it hasn't always been the best since he got remarried) already because of this. Thanks, guys, for suggesting that I talk to him. I feel pretty good, and I know it doesn't always happen this way. I am glad to have this and don't imagine regretting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Note_20140701_155015_01.jpg (82.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Your Dad is a very sweet man.
Well done for having the courage to broach the subject with him, I couldn't have been easy.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's amazing coastalgirl!!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you have your Dad's support.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing with us coastalgirl. I'm thrilled you had a positive experience with your Dad and so happy you had the courage to admit your problem to him.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Oh, bless you, coastalgirl (and your dad) That made me cry
Old 07-01-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's so great!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

awesomesauce. extra helpings of it. right here. all over this post.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Coastal girl, that is so awesome, what a great support person you have there!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What an amazing man, and what a wonderful relationship you obviously have - even if you hadn't realised it as much before. I'm so happy for you!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Because water is much better.

Thanks, all! I wish I could hug every one of you. I have actually been through some huge problems with my dad before, and he's improved a lot over the years I think. I am not too close to him but I'm starting to see why and how he really is now that he has been sober. He was a mess and now I think I'm forgiving him for stuff he's said to me and how he has treated my brother and me throughout the years. His acceptance of me and my situation is something I don't get from a lot of other family members. Again guys. I can't tell you how much your support means to me.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great message, good job to you and your dad! The more people who can support you the better!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a great message from your Dad, coastalgirl. It is wonderful to have his support.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, coastalgirl. Your dad's words made my heart smile. I'm so glad he's in your corner.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey coastalgirl - that's great you have your Dad's support

D
Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done. Never easy telling a parent. However I found my dad has been my biggest support and hopefully yours will be much the same!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Coastalgirl, when i saw the title of this thread, i was praying it was you! This is so absolutely amazing. It's terribly difficult to admit to someone you love that you're struggling. Not only is it embarrassing but you want to spare their feelings. It seems like you're throwing your problems on them but you're not. All you're doing is opening a new relationship with them. You're not asking them to solve your problems for you. You're opening your heart to someone safe. It lets us practice admitting and accepting our situation. Our feelings and struggles somehow become more solid. Where they were once abstract, amorphous feelings that settled like a poisonous fog in our head, talking about them to a loved one brings them into focus and we see it clearly and a path can begin to be cut to bring us to terms with those feelings.

Congrats on opening up this new relationship with your dad. When i meet other sober alcoholics, i feel this instant kinship. Like we're a part of this super secret, magical, wonderful club. And it's not that we're excluding the people around us. It's just that i know them and they know me on a level that no one who isn't a part of AA can understand. I know that i'm looking at another person who has been given a new life. Here they are, out in the world and here i am, out in the world. Two people who, by all rights should probably be dead, are alive. Not just alive but functioning. Not just functioning but actively seeking and finding serenity. It's amazing! Welcome to the club!