Notices

help me through this craving

Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help me through this craving

I'm trying my best not to go to liquer store right now I've been fighting the thought for about an hour I feel like I'm going to snap my last drink was Saturday night
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think that drink through all the way to tomorrow morning, and I bet you will see it is soooooo not worth it!

Hang in there and know you will be so relieved tomorrow morning, AND PROUD of your accomplishment!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What started this chain of thinking?

Do you have a friend you can call who will be understanding?

You can always call AA and someone is always on the phones to talk to you.

You can make it through this, and when you do you will see how strong you are. Each time becomes easier.

You don't drink anymore. Go to bed sober tonight.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not for everyone, but the techniques from ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) have helped me. I used to be about fighting the urges too, but I've found that not fighting makes it a little easier. Not fighting means allowing myself to feel the cravings, but also not acting on it. There is no question of "Will I or won't I?" It's saying, "I won't" and "Oh, there's that feeling again". You don't need to do everything your feelings want you to do. The cravings will be just as strong, but I don't feel as exhausted at the end of the night because I wasn't wrestling with myself the whole time.

On top of that, have you tried other techniques like filling the time with other things? Staying here to post with us is an option. Other things I like to do include TV, reading, exercise. Just don't do anything that you associate with drinking.

You will get through this!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let's help each other, I'm at a very low point right now too. I will not drink and try to get a good night sleep.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't really want to drink. It's just habit. No one ever woke up sober and said "gee, I wish I'd drank last night".
Old 06-30-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What helped me was to sit down and make a list of 100, (I had a very easy time coming up with that many quickly which is sad) or even 50, 25, or 10 reasons why you don't need to or why you shouldn't drink! Whether it be something to do with your relationships or as simple as not wanting the fuzzy nauseating hangover the day after drinking. Make this list and carry it with you always. When I get the urge I reach in my purse and begin to read random numbers of why I should not drink alcohol. The main reason being I just don't stop until I black out. I'm at day 41 and that has made it a lot easier for me to realize how much I was losing control of by drinking!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why u guys were getting back to me I went out back and cut the grass in the dark ... don't know if it will help but I had to get out the house some way. I'm not suppose to drive
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Why u guys were getting back to me I went out back and cut the grass in the dark ... don't know if it will help but I had to get out the house some way. I'm not suppose to drive
Well done! I've walked off and worked off many a cravings. Don't drive, it's too easy to turn to the store.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is it too early to sleep?
Old 06-30-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome idea! Also helped me to make a goal list of what I needed or wanted to do to my home. Whether it be hanging a picture frame or painting a room. Any project that is time consuming will help keep your mind off the bottle. I re did my bathroom!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Cabin fever is rough. I was going to suggest a walk but it sounds like you got outside for a good bit. How about you hop in the shower or take a bath? I find showers really refreshing. No reason one can't have 2 showers in a day. I get in there, plug my phone into a speaker and sing terribly!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I suddenly wish I have grass to cut. And that it was dark already.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My to-do list is a mile long... Too late and too tired to get started on any big project, need to find something to kill off a few hours before sleep.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to take some action , and change it up !!

This is how I learned to run at night !?!
Now, I just cycle , with a really strong headlight ( and a helmet)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I ended up sorting through the things for the donations bin. Phew!