Notices

Ready to Stop

Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Ready to Stop

Hi all,

I've made the decision to give up the sauce for good. I would not consider myself an alcoholic, and do not have any negative consequences in my life as a result of alcohol. I don't even drink on a daily basis (only about 2 to 3 times a week). My issue is that I tend to drink more than I should when I do drink. Granted, I am a decent sized guy who can absorb it better than others, but I do have real concerns about my long term health if I were to keep drinking a 12-pack of beer two or three times a week, especially with my third child on the way in October.

I am hoping to connect on here with people who were in similar situations and have adapted to a booze-free life. Thanks, and I look forward to "meeting" you all!

Patrick
Old 06-30-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome McMick. Regardless of your motivation, I think giving up alcohol is always a good choice. I would tend to disagree with your assessment though - drinking more than you plan on and drinking a 12 pack at a time are both abnormal drinking behavior and both are red flags.

SR is a great place to find people living a sober life, and resources that will show you how to do so. Stick around for a while and see what you can learn, ask lots of questions too.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, McMick! There is so much help and support here. Let us know how we can help you. Congratulations on taking a loving step for yourself and your family!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi McMick, welcome! I hope you find what you're looking for here. Everyone seems nice and willing to chat. On a side note, I have been drinking 30 years. I'm on my second try at sobriety in 2 weeks. I found that drinking that much at once can lead to more often binges and possible addiction. Congrats on your journey. Best wishes!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. The most difficult thing will be giving up alcohol in social situations. I really enjoy beer, especially during the summer months. That said, I know it isn't good to drink a 12 pack at a time, and I don't want to ever get to the point where I do experience physical withdrawal and/or daily drinking. I suppose anything worth doing in this life is hard. 😎
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum McMick!!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not easy to stop drinking for good, that's true. But, it's worth it. And, alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will worsen, unless you stop.