Notices

Day 34 and still can't sleep

Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 34 and still can't sleep

Argh! I'm 34 days in and thought surely by now I would be sleeping like a normal person. I either can't get to sleep *or* I get to sleep and wake up a gazillion times and then can't get back to sleep. I've taken Benadryl a few times but really am trying to keep away from taking anything...

Any other ideas to help? Thanks so much
-B
Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm the same way. Still not sleeping. Exercise helps me a ton and I stop drinking caffeine after 2 most days. Herbal tea before bed helps as well.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sleep was tough for me at first too. Excercise can help for sure. Also make sure you aren't eating lots of sugary foods or eating too much right before bed. Reading or calming music can help as well, avoid watching things on TV that might get you riled up, etc. It will get better though...stay strong.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Sleeping patterns tend to be knocked out of whack early on, I was the very same but it does pass and things get better.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A warm shower/bath can be fantastic before bed, exercise and herbal tea are my life savours too when it comes to sleeping!!

Hang in there, it'll come with time!!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I will definitely look at cutting back my caffeine. I am working out in the mornings and get downright cranky if I don't get that in every day now. It really does help keep my head on straight. I will also look into some herbal teas....
Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have insomnia sometimes and chamomile tea helps me. I also put some lavender essential oil on a cloth near my head. It is calming for me.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me the crappiest sober sleep is still better than the abrupt 2:00 am wake up drunken sleeps of my past.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are a number of things you can do to help insomnia. I used to have it really badand now I only suffer from it once a blue moon (last night was one as it happens).

So, what I'd suggest is:

. Cut out caffeine after 1pm
. Do the same pre-bedroom routine every night, something relaxing like taking a bath then reading. After a few days your brain will start to associate sleep with these actions and will automatically prepare your body for rest
. If you have a television in your bedroom get rid of it, your training your brain to understand this room is for sleeping, and little else
. Exercise every day. This is probably the most important.
. Do not eat anything sugary a few hours before bed.
. If you can't sleep after 30 minutes, don't get frustrated, go to the living room and do something else, go back to bed when you feel tired
. Go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day, including weekends

If all this stuff doesn't work (give it a month), then you need to see a doctor.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

my most helpful hint is calcium/magnesium supplement about an hour before bed, a turkey sandwich for dinner and a small scoop of good vanilla ice cream.

I also take my allergy meds at night, keep the room very cool and dark. I do use melatonin and valerian as needed, I need my sleep as I get up early for work. you might try a L-tryptophane supplement too. just not all the time.

I do not do any caffeine afternoon, not even soda or decaff. coffee. if I exercise late in the day it revs. me up, I have to do this in the morning also.

hope you feel better....this also could be a hormonal thing depending on your age.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't really add too much that hasn't already been said. It took me a full three weeks or so to get to "normal" sleep.

Exercise, ice cream, reading, and Sleepytime Tea really helped me.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Exercise, melotonin, prayer and reading in bed works for me...

Just be careful not to overexert the exercise because for many people it can hurt your sleep. If I exercise the way I abused alcohol I have a lot of trouble sleeping.

Ideally (for me) caffeine and exercise are done early in the morning. And (oddly) I eat dinner near bedtime because it naturally gets me sleepy... If I have dinner any earlier I will end up catching a second wind before I hope to be asleep.