Notices

My first day and why.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first day and why.

Last night I drank two bottles of wine and was so intoxicated I fell out of bed and slept on the floor, I kept my partner awake half the night and he out me back into bed twice. I have bruises all over my body and have badly damaged my tail bone (am in so much pain!), with a Huge all day Hangover to go with it.

I have decided enough is enough and I am making today my first day of sobriety. I have tried a few times but usually end up having a binge after a week or two.

Something inside my brain does not stop drinking once I'm drunk! I drink to such excess I'm suprised I'm even alive! I can't practice moderation I have tried and tried and i am tired of fighting the demons.

Hoping to use this place as a tool and perhaps meet some nice people to help me on my journey. I felt a little too embarrased to go to AA meetings so here online will hopefully suit me just fine.

Hi guys!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Kel89! There's alot of support here.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Kel!

congrats on your first day... you will find wonderful support here. lots of good folks
Old 06-30-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome to SR, Kel You've definitely come to the right place. You'll find honesty, understanding, wisdom and support by the bucket load!

I was the kind of drinker that you are. Once I started I would carry on until either the drink was gone or I was But the good news is that it doesn't have to be like that any more. For me, quitting completely has been far easier than trying to moderate. When I deliberately cut down, I was miserable and totally obsessed with why I couldn't drink more and when I would be able to. It was exhausting!

Now I feel so much more in control. I know when I go out that I'll be drinking soft drinks and that's fine. I know I won't morph into a selfish wine-soaked battle axe halfway through the evening The feeling of freedom is amazing
Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I used to drink 8-10 large glasses of wine a night..I was a hot mess too. Sorry about your tailbone, that is painful.
We dont know your drinking history, but you need to be prepared to stop with plan in place so you dont get sidetracked. Come here before you drink.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. This site was the main reason I managed to get through the first few weeks. Plenty of people here who will help and support you.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to what can become a wonderful time in your life by just stopping the intake of alcohol. This site is excellent info to become knowledgeable and supported in getting sober.
In regards to “I felt a little too embarrassed to go to AA meetings.” Try to remember each person there had a first day going as well along with many of the same uneasiness. Many say “it’s great to be among people who understand”

BE WELL
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kel89!!

I am the same, the 1st drink is my problem, I needed to cut that out completely to deal with my drinking.

So what's the plan to prevent that week 1/2 craving? if you put in the ground work beforehand it shouldn't be an issue!

Great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! Glad you could join us!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Kel; glad you found us.

Wine was my poison, too; moderation never worked for me - ever; I tried and tried and tried; finally (and thankfully) I gave up.

Keep posting; this is a great place.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kel89, welcome. You will find tremendous support on these forums. Thanks also for your post.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some time in 2006, I got so drunk I fell out of bed and broke a table on my way down - like you, the OH had to pick me up and put me back to bed. This episode wasn't enough to get me to quit. It's taken another 8 years and a lot worse things for me to get here, so well done!

I'm exactly the same, my brain doesn't have an 'off switch', like the Duracell Bunny, I keep going and going until I pass out. Keep checking into the forum, especially as you get up to the two week mark, if you know that's a point you normally give in. Just keep remembering the reasons you're doing this.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words! I am overwhelmed with the support network here! Day two has been so far so good... I'll be sure to keep checking in! Hoping this is going to be a wonderful positive journey, as hard as it might be..nothing to loose!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Kel! Kudos to you for being here and committing to sobriety. Congrats on day 2, and keep it going!