Notices

Today, My Sobriety Did...What? Fun Game

Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Today, My Sobriety Did...What? Fun Game

For me, today my sobriety helped me take my son to hockey practice without feeling hungover and guilty from the night before.

Now its your turn.....and go!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today, my sobriety helped me figure out how to take, upload, and post a selfie (although it came out sideways). I said I was sober, not sharp!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Sober selfies are much nicer than the drunk ones...imo, ha!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, this one actually came out pretty good, if I do say so myself!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today my sobriety gave me such peace that I didn't think about drinking.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Today, my sobriety let me pray for someone instead of resent them.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today, my sobriety let me go to work hangover free!!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today my sobriety let me actually show up at work instead of calling in "sick". Plus I still have cash in my pocket that in the past would have gone to the bartender. She calls herself a mixologist. << rolls eyes >> yeah and I wasn't a drunk, I was a connoisseur.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today my sobriety has me planning to be a domestic goddess lol

Cooking from fresh three courses so my daughter (and hubby) can come home to a sober, functioning mother
Old 06-30-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Helped me and a friend move another person who is currently hospital bound....
Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's only 0715 for me but so far today my sobriety has let me get up and enjoy the morning before the rest of the house is up. Giving me some time to pray and reflect on what I was able to accomplish this weekend. Instead of starting to drink around noon or 1 each day and then spending the rest of the day in front of the computer and watching TV doing nothing productive.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today my sobriety reminded me why living sober in the moment is the greatest gift in itself.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today my sobriety let me enjoy my kids and do things with them without feeling like it's a chore just to get through the day and get a drink. I was able to hug and kiss them without worrying if they smell alcohol on my breath and it's scarring them for life.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today, my sobriety has got me to work on time, in clean clothes that were washed and dried over the weekend, with lunch sorted and my gym bag packed so I can work out before I go home.

Before I changed my life 11 days ago, Mondays would typically be: drag my ass out of bed late (overslept because had spent the night drinking vodka or wine all day Sunday), then rummage around on the floor for something 'passable' to wear from the pile of clothes that hadn't been washed or organised for weeks because instead of cleaning I'd spent my weekend drinking. I'd then drive to work trying to resist the urge to be sick, and pray for a quiet day where it wouldn't be noticed that I'd do barely any work because I felt so rotten. I'd then go home end of the day to collapse on the couch, eat some kind of takeaway because I had no motivation to cook, then sleep off the hangover.

Writing this now, it's hard for me to understand how I managed to go through this routine three times a week and still function. As soon as the hangover wore off (usually 2 days) I'd do it all over again, rinse repeat.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDay2014 View Post
Today, my sobriety has got me to work on time, in clean clothes that were washed and dried over the weekend, with lunch sorted and my gym bag packed so I can work out before I go home.

Before I changed my life 11 days ago, Mondays would typically be: drag my ass out of bed late (overslept because had spent the night drinking vodka or wine all day Sunday), then rummage around on the floor for something 'passable' to wear from the pile of clothes that hadn't been washed or organised for weeks because instead of cleaning I'd spent my weekend drinking. I'd then drive to work trying to resist the urge to be sick, and pray for a quiet day where it wouldn't be noticed that I'd do barely any work because I felt so rotten. I'd then go home end of the day to collapse on the couch, eat some kind of takeaway because I had no motivation to cook, then sleep off the hangover.

Writing this now, it's hard for me to understand how I managed to go through this routine three times a week and still function. As soon as the hangover wore off (usually 2 days) I'd do it all over again, rinse repeat.
I hear you, friend. You wonder how we thought it was OK??

Today my sobriety let me cope with the youngest waking up for the day at 5am AND me having a stinking heavy cold... I literally cannot imagine what I'd have done with a hangover thrown in for fun! It also let me make healthy choices for breakfast/lunch instead of grabbing anything full of fat/carbs to cope with the nausea and stomach acid. Also my sobriety let me walk past the wine aisle without feeling a magnetic pull, and view the bottles of rosé as merely pink calorific liquid sugar. I never thought I'd view it that way!

Great thread, btw
Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDay2014 View Post

That. Was. Me. I 100% could have written that.

Today my sobriety let me come to work on time and face the day and think about the emails that I received over the weekend...that I didn't answer. NOT because I was too drunk to address them, but because they were not pressing, and it was totally acceptable for me to get to them today. In the past, I would see the emails in a haze, feel guilty and awful for not being too drunk to be able to address them and then on Monday morning be filled with anxiety about all the things I neglected over the weekend. Not today.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

^ oh, haha, me too. No need to repost then.

Except I did it every single day. By the time I really declined, I did that 3 years straight, drinking every day.

Congrats on 11 days, ANewDay.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lola23 - I've been there! I have a job that can get stressful at times, and in drunken hazes over the weekend or late at night during the week, I got those anxiety pangs about work things and not addressing them when they could easily be left for Mondays. I've unfortunately been in the situation a few times where I've actually tried to sort things out over the weekend WHILST DRINKING...leading to more issues the following week from failed attempts to solve a problem drunk. I'm SO GLAD those days are over.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah my sobriety stops me firing off 'hilarious' comments on FB and means I don't wake up wondering what conversations I had and with who last night. Yeesh!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cowgirlie View Post
Yeah my sobriety stops me firing off 'hilarious' comments on FB and means I don't wake up wondering what conversations I had and with who last night. Yeesh!
I hated that. Every morning after drinking I'd have to check all my social media sites to see what I'd written. The shame! I've seriously f'ed up with that beforenow and lost friends through it. No more!!

So today my sobriety meant I got a fantastic sleep and enabled me to wake up naturally at 5am to travel to a meeting I've got in another city at 8:30!