Notices

but are you going to be sober?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

but are you going to be sober?

" but are you going to be sober" the single most valuable sentence i've ever heard in my life. In a singular solitary moment I was brought to a stand still because of this question.

My friends I went to a meeting awhile back and I whined, I cried, I told the world every thing about me, I wanted to be heard, I wanted someone to relate to me, I wanted to hear that my problems matter.

However, at the end of my share, many said nice things and were encouraging, but one man asked me a question I think that questing might change my life, he asked " but are you going to be sober"....

I thought to myself who is this man, who in the hell does he think he is, yes I am going to be sober. I was pissed at this old man, who was he, why would he say such a thing?

I got ride home that evening and the person said the old man doesn't speak much, he only talks on a very few occasions, You know he killed few people drinking and driving! I was beside myself then, he killed someone one, someone or someones for that matter are dead because of that guy.

I got to thinking the wizened old man is right! but am I going to be sober....I haven't killed anyone, and I have issues and I cry and shine at times, but those excuses pale in comparison to the old man. He said something that every one of us should hear, are we going to be sober?

Get your big boy/girl pants on! LIFE IS GOING TO HAPPEN, WE ALL HAVE EXCUSES TO DRINK, but we have a choice not to drink no MATTER WHAT. i hated that man, I thought what nerve, but that man has an experience none of u should go through. But am I a going to drink.... No I am not going to drink the crying stops here, I can't even imagine being in the place that guy is in..... I don't want to be in that place, EVER.

That was a real turning point in my life, I realized then and there that I have problem, but in the scale of things they aren't as big as they could be..... I can overcome, I have challenges but so does everyone else.

BUT ARE YOU GOING TO BE SOBER, yes I am, I am humbled that a man that has gone so wrong in his life would ask me such a question, he knew then and there I was creating excuses and there are no excuses....

Friends, I learned a lesson that day, there are no excuses, if you want to be sober, be sober, I can only ask this " but are you going to be sober" remember that! It has value, this addiction can kill you and others.... So with that said, yes I am going to be sober, I need and want this.... Stay safe and sober my friends, TDG
Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow...those seven little words have such a powerful meaning. I will ask myself this daily now and I continue to move forward.

Thank you for posting this! And take care!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is true, no point in saying life sucks and here's all the bad things that have happened and let me tell you all about how awful it is!! . . . that's what people in pubs do, talk about how life is!!

Recovery is for those wanting to do someone about it, those that are attempting to be Sober!!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good word Purple!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those 6 little words, they can be applied for all of us at any time.
( love the name btw, reminds me of the UPS guy) lol