Notices

Highly Functional Alcoholic Oxymoron

Old 06-28-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Highly Functional Alcoholic Oxymoron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My doctor told me yesterday that I am a highly functional alcoholic and confessed that he is in recovery for the same. He then recommended that I consider AA meetings. Since alcohol does not cause any problems to my health or otherwise I take offense to the label and am concerned about the potential ramifications of having been officially diagnosed as an alcoholic by a healthcare provider.

My take now is that I should not have been so honest about my alcohol consumption and need a new doctor. Since he said he was in recovery, I was curious to hear from others in this community and to get their thoughts on the subject and validity of the diagnosis "highly functional alcoholic".

JDNWATER is online now Report Post
Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a person may have their poop in a group outwardly.jobs doin good. lawns mowed. health is good. cars in running order.marraige isn't in shambles.
look inside and tell us whats goin on.
my thinkin was no different that the prosecuting attorney, the pharmacist, or the one that ended up living in skidrow.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I'm surprised a doctor used that term. Mine put me down for tobacco use disorder because I smoked. I had quit drinking by that time so he didn't put down anything in that category. He just ran the blood tests I asked for.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
a person may have their poop in a group outwardly.jobs doin good. lawns mowed. health is good. cars in running order.marraige isn't in shambles.
look inside and tell us whats goin on.
my thinkin was no different that the prosecuting attorney, the pharmacist, or the one that ended up living in skidrow.
All good inside and out. I understand that can change, but until it does I think the diagnosis is inappropriate. I understand that alcohol is a bad habit. I have many. Fried Chicken, Cigars, etc. But the fact that I know crispy bird is bad for me and I continue to choose to stop in for a bucket should not officially make me an addict of such.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes one to know one. A person who
is an alcoholic in recovery who incoperates
a program of recovery such as AA consisting
of steps and principles to live by each day
they remain sober would definitely be someone
I'd trust to tell me that I have a drinking
problem and my addiction is to alcohol.

And sure enough it was 23 yrs ago in Aug. 1990
that I was sick and finally told I had a problem
with drinking alcohol successfully and causing
problems in my life. My heart, mind and soul.

Honesty is very important to me in remaining
sober and pretty much all those ive come
across in recovery and live a program of
recovery on a daily bases is very believeable
and trustworthy to me.

IMO as always.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To be fair more info is needed to give an opinion. How much you drink, why, when. I think there is list of standard questions to indicate alcoholism isn't there?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm no Dr., but I've said this before: Functional isn't a type of alcoholism it is a stage of alcoholism.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum JDNWATER! People are very supportive of the journey here.

Were you officially given the diagnosis of 'alcohol dependence'? Or some other related diagnosis that you are were seen for or are aware of?

If you are concerned or are questioning the validity of your physician's assessment then you can contest the diagnosis. The medical group can tell you how to go about the process to have something officially removed from your medical record. Start with the phone number for 'medical records'.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
It takes one to know one. A person who
is an alcoholic in recovery who incoperates
a program of recovery such as AA consisting
of steps and principles to live by each day
they remain sober would definitely be someone
I'd trust to tell me that I have a drinking
problem and my addiction is to alcohol.

And sure enough it was 23 yrs ago in Aug. 1990
that I was sick and finally told I had a problem
with drinking alcohol successfully and causing
problems in my life. My heart, mind and soul.

Honesty is very important to me in remaining
sober and pretty much all those ive come
across in recovery and live a program of
recovery on a daily bases is very believeable
and trustworthy to me.

IMO as always.
I trust that I know myself better than anyone else. I also know it is human nature to project our own personal experiences when judging others. Often giving us in incorrect view of a person or situation. Thanks for the reply. Hope you stay well.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
I'm no Dr., but I've said this before: Functional isn't a type of alcoholism it is a stage of alcoholism.
Spot on!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JDNWATER, this might not be your case, that's for you to decide. I can relate to hesitations of discussing it with a doctor and having it on your medical record. They keep talking about privacy but my wake-up call was when I was trying to get a new doctor and he has somehow had full access to my previous medical history and I was told: "you have been prescribed such-and-such antidepressant on such-and-such date by your previous doctor, and we don't treat mental health issues here". That antidepressant was prescribed to me when I saw a doctor for an anxiety issue, but when I looked up its side-effects, I decided against taking it. Nevertheless, it is now on my mental health history. I understand this is nothing to be ashamed of, but something about that where doctors and insurances have full access to it just really irks me.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Last edited by Shining~Again; 06-28-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: needed to finish properly - interrupted
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Welcome to the forum JDNWATER! People are very supportive of the journey here.

Were you officially given the diagnosis of 'alcohol dependence'? Or some other related diagnosis that you are were seen for or are aware of?

If you are concerned or are questioning the validity, you can contest the diagnosis. The medical group can tell you how to go about the process to have something officially removed from your medical record. Start with the phone number for 'medical records'.

Thanks. He is an individual practitioner so I will have to contest it with him again. I did argue the point, to which he said drinking more than two drinks at a time is at an alcoholic level by definition. I told him he just described more than half of America, but he insisted that is the definition and since I told him that I drink much more than that here I am. I reminded him that I have no problems, health or otherwise and next came the highly functional bit that I don't buy. I had an actual alcoholic friend who passed away after an RX and alcohol overdose and told him I knew what alcoholism is like and I was not there. He said that was "end stage" and did not apply to my situation.

To me alcoholism is by definition a problem and when none exist, regardless of how much you drink, you cannot be an alcoholic. Curious to hear thoughts from the community.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JDNWATER View Post
I trust that I know myself better than anyone else. I also know it is human nature to project our own personal experiences when judging others. Often giving us in incorrect view of a person or situation. Thanks for the reply. Hope you stay well.
You are obviously an intelligent and articulate soul JDN. I know myself well enough to know that nobody can BS me better than me...nobody. I am definitely not diagnosing you as someone battling addiction..

But I do find it curious that you have took the time to sign up here..at a recovery forum. Welcome, by the way.

As I say, I do not doubt your common sense, so would it not be better to inquire with some appropriate medical or legal governing body regarding false information to file..then to ask folks in addiction recovery?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
JDNWATER, this might not be your case, that's for you to decide. I can relate to hesitations of discussing it with a doctor and having it on your medical record. They keep talking about privacy but my wake-up call was when I was trying to get a new doctor and he has somehow had full access to my previous medical history and I was told: "you have been prescribed such-and-such antidepressant on such-and-such date by your previous doctor, and we don't treat mental health issues here". That antidepressant was prescribed to me when I saw a doctor for an anxiety issue, but when I looked up its side-effects, I decided against taking it. Nevertheless, it is now on my mental health history. I understand this is nothing to be ashamed of, but something about that where doctors and insurances have full access to it just really irks me.
There are other concerns as well. I have a permit to carry a gun and technically that can be revoked if you are addicted to alcohol or drugs. That is also a question you have to answer each time you purchase a firearm.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Spot on!
^^ interesting, and very thought provoking. Never heard that, but noticed I slid from weekend binge drinking to nightly drinking in recent years. And joined here when I felt alarmed about the feeling of it becoming a habit I couldn't control, worrying where the slide was taking me.

Welcome JDN. I would never admit my true alcohol consumption to a medical professional! Because I know I would hear something that I don't like....

I know I fit the textbook description of HFA and find it easy to tell myself that I don't have a problem, but the fact that I can't seem to go more than 2 weeks without alcohol and tell myself I can control it kinda makes me face the truth... but only when sober How about seeing how long you can give up for? Trying quitting may give you some answers or insight. Or of course a second opinion.

Good luck on your journey x
Old 06-28-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
You are obviously an intelligent and articulate soul JDN. I know myself well enough to know that nobody can BS me better than me...nobody. I am definitely not diagnosing you as someone battling addiction..

But I do find it curious that you have took the time to sign up here..at a recovery forum. Welcome, by the way.

As I say, I do not doubt your common sense, so would it not be better to inquire with some appropriate medical or legal governing body regarding false information to file..then to ask folks in addiction recovery?
I came here because my physician told me he was in recovery himself and I was curious if his opinions were common in this community. I certainly intend to address the issue with him again though before I take any further action. Perhaps none is needed, it may not even be in my chart. I was too taken back when he brought it up in the visit and thought about the legal issues afterward. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cowgirlie View Post
^^ interesting, and very thought provoking. Never heard that, but noticed I slid from weekend binge drinking to nightly drinking in recent years. And joined here when I felt alarmed about the feeling of it becoming a habit I couldn't control, worrying where the slide was taking me.

Welcome JDN. I would never admit my true alcohol consumption to a medical professional! Because I know I would hear something that I don't like....

I know I fit the textbook description of HFA and find it easy to tell myself that I don't have a problem, but the fact that I can't seem to go more than 2 weeks without alcohol and tell myself I can control it kinda makes me face the truth... but only when sober How about seeing how long you can give up for? Trying quitting may give you some answers or insight. Or of course a second opinion.

Good luck on your journey x
I never tried to quit drinking because I never wanted to. I did however choose to stop drinking for a couple weeks not long ago after a surgery because of medication I was on for pain and I had no ill effects. I confess I really wanted a beer after a while, but I would also want a burger if I could not have one in the same time period. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by JDNWATER View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JDNWATER is online now Report Post
What does that mean?

If getting into trouble were the sole criteria for alcohol dependence a lot of us would still be drinking.

The doctor can say you are a heavy drinker or have a drinking problem. If that is the case just quit and go back in a couple of months and tell him you did. I had 3 months in when I went and asked for test to be done. He didn't put me down for the abuse disorder because I had quit. So my doctor must think alcoholics can't just up and quit. We can though.
My husband has a conceal and carry. If they told him he could never drink alcohol again to keep it he would.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would find out if it was on my records, and, if so, ask to have it removed. Only you know if alcohol is a problem or not.