Notices

genetic

Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

genetic

I've been here reading and I find these posts so helpful. Its the first time I've talked to people who relate to how I feel. Right now I am forming a plan to put into action within the next few days. I was wondering, though, if alcohol problems can be genetic at all. I believe my mother was an alcoholic, and her father also. Can it be possible that the addictive behavior was already in me, and that was why it was so easy for me to get involved in drinking during my teenage years? Just curious if anybody has any answers, as I said, I am just starting to learn about this.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll get a range of opinions on that one Sag
I have alcoholic relatives, but many others here don't.

The important thing to know is - no matter if you have a family history of alcoholism or not, you can live sober

D
Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are genetic and environmental links to alcoholism, so yes - nature and nurture can both play a role.

Welcome to the site!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I figure something within me is genetic, but that doesn't mean we are in some way doomed to follow, we get to choose!!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I have been obsessive since I was a child. I have had to work very hard to control my addictive personality.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe there is a genetic component to alcoholism. I am adopted and found out later in life that both of my biological parents were drunks.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One could spend his life analyzing this one. Is it psychological, genetic..

But I think those questions are AV driven to try to put logic into illogical behavior. If Alcohol is poison why do we want to consumed it type catch 22.

Like others said, just achieve sustained sobriety and you can have more time to think about other important scientific things ;-)

All the best!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

It has been posited that there is a genetic predisposition to addiction, but that isn't an indication that everyone with it will become addicted. For example, two twins may both have it and only one becomes addicted, or maybe neither of them does. Neither of my biological parents drank at all, but I have an uncle who is a blood-relative who was alcoholic and a brother who is as well. I don't know if there were other closet drinkers such as myself in the family.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"I'm 50% Pointer (There it is! There it is), 50% Boxer, 50% Setter... Irish Setter, 50% Watchdog, 50% Spitz, 50% Doberman Pincher, but mostly, I'm all Labrador Retriever."

Genetics probably has a little to do with it. But mostly I think it has a lot to do with training. If you start giving a dog high alcohol beer in his dish and slowly increase his dose, he will eventually be craving it.

Same with people. A lot (all?) of alcoholics are trained to drink. Over time it becomes a necessity to drink. Just as we have to 'train' ourselves to not drink when it is all said and done.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't believe it is genetic. I consider it to be an excuse for those who don't want to take responsibility for themselves.

You are looking for someone else to put the blame on.

Like I said--this is my view
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I don't see why genetics wouldn't play a part, but even if you have the gene it may not be 'switched on' or expressed. I also think a lot depends on your personality and upbringing, because a secure loving childhood may give you a better chance of dealing with the destructive parts of your life.
I had a great upbringing, but a propensity for alcohol. The first allowed me to deal with the second, before it got to end-stage.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm all Labrador Retriever."

* Snowball---my sons Lab Retriever!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

hey airwick - I know that I come from a very long line of mentally and physically sensitive and intense people. Aside from alcohol consumption, which appears to have been a crap shoot, there is also a tendency towards other physical and mental experiences...also a crap shoot.

LBrain - I think you need to start a thread titled "If I were a dog, I would be...":

A Border Collie. I like to roam, herd, and basically go nuts over the details in doing so. There is nothing like running fast and free with the wind in my face

How about you airwick? What kind of a dog would you be...?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LeTheVerte: If I have to admit to the world that I want to be a dog,
I better put some thought into this question before I answer it

Back to original thread!
"Someone start the Dog Thread! There is already a cat one out there "
Old 06-30-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm still thinking lol